House Rules

Answered!
Jack-and-Karen1
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

House Rules

We have posted in our rental that we appreciate help in conserving energy.  We ask our guests to turn off lights and air conditioner if they are going to be gone for an extended period of time.  Our guests still feel it's okay to take off and leave the TV and A/C on while they are gone.  This has happened several times, with several guests.  My husband goes crazy when he sees this, and has gone in and turned off the A/C.  

Not sure the answer is the "Nest" thermostat as we would like the AC to be off completely during these times.  We live on the water, and during this time, we have amazing breezes that fill the house!

Suggestions???  Even after we mentioned it to a guest, she acknowledged  the note, and did it again the next day!

Thanks!!!

Top Answer
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Jack-and-Karen1 . My recommendation is that as @Mike-And-Jane0 said, purchase a new central control,

or:

1.   just bump your nightly price up ever so subtly, to cover the costs of running the aircon /TV. Not every guest will leave appliances running, so what you lose on one, you gain on the other.....

2.   I would be pushing the environmental and conservation trend to turn off and save for the environment. 

Or

3.   in the interest of safety, all appliances and switches, must be turned off. (House rule)

4.   I wouldn’t be entering any guests room, unless you have it listed in your house rules, that if appliances have been left on, you will enter only to switch off and conserve.

NB:  You could find yourself challenged, if a guest states something has gone missing or has been damaged. 

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Connor30
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

Personally, I think you’re worrying too much about it. I used to be the same but I realized that everyone is comfortable in different ways. I’ve never lived somewhere where there is a breeze like that, so I wouldn’t know to rely on opening the windows instead of using 21st century technology to cool me. 

What I learned is that you have to let these things go because everyone is so different and at the end of the day you want them to be comfortable and if that means A/C instead of windows - that’s okay. If it’s costing you though, bump then price up a few dollars every night to cover the expense. 

Additionally, at least in Utah - I actually do not want anyone opening the windows. I want them to leverage the system because it actually helps better maintain the home and you have less cost of the ups and downs in temps should they open the home up. Again, different geographies and also different ways people know how to handle their comfort. And you can’t teach that with rules, signs, etc. unfortunately.

hope this helps. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

We have a similar problem with people running the heating at 25 degrees 24 hours a day. Sadly our clever thermostat cannot stop this happening. Thankfully not everyone does this so we can't justify the expense of changing out the controls.

With the cost of electricity and peoples tendency to run aircon COOLER than they heat their houses to in Winter I would suggest you need to buy one of those clever devices that switches it off when there is no one in the house.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Jack-and-Karen1 . My recommendation is that as @Mike-And-Jane0 said, purchase a new central control,

or:

1.   just bump your nightly price up ever so subtly, to cover the costs of running the aircon /TV. Not every guest will leave appliances running, so what you lose on one, you gain on the other.....

2.   I would be pushing the environmental and conservation trend to turn off and save for the environment. 

Or

3.   in the interest of safety, all appliances and switches, must be turned off. (House rule)

4.   I wouldn’t be entering any guests room, unless you have it listed in your house rules, that if appliances have been left on, you will enter only to switch off and conserve.

NB:  You could find yourself challenged, if a guest states something has gone missing or has been damaged. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You can't win @Jack-and-Karen1. The world is doomed. 

LOL!!  You are funny!