House not clean

Answered!
Javier1666
Level 2
Oakhill, United Kingdom

House not clean

Hi

i rented a house for 4 days and when I arrived yesterday I saw the toiled was not clean, and also the dishwasher was full of dirty plates.

I asked the host to refund the cleaning fee (over £100!) but he refused.

can you advise what to do here? Would Airbnb help me with this?

1 Best Answer
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

What I would do is a combination of what everyone has been discussing.

First, I would send someone over immediately to remedy the situation. I consider this my first obligation. If the guest can’t comply (they don’t want anyone in the house, they already cleaned up, etc.) I don’t consider that automatic grounds that I should refund the cleaning fee.

Second, regardless of whether I was able to remedy the situation or not, I would apologize profusely and treat the guest to dinner or some other gift certificate up to a predetermined amount. What I offer may very well match or even exceed the cleaning fee, depending on the amount of neglected cleaning and the inconvenience it caused the guest. I would ask the guest what kind of dinner or gift he/she would like, and call the business to make sure I am charged the predetermined amount.

This is the kind of thing hotels do. They very rarely offer cash refunds except in extreme situations. I know we are not hotels but this type of policy both discourages guests from constantly asking for refunds, and establishes a considerable amount of good will between host and guest.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

I think that’s a terrible way to go about it. Find a person to actually clean it and someone to verify it/walk through, or refund the cleaning fee. It’s ** disgusting to downplay your neglect and transmitting biologicals from one human to another without consent. What’s your property address, just so I never accidentally stay there? I have been cleaning an Airbnb for over a year (to get out of the house) and I’ve had 5-stars every single time. I will demand a cleaning fee back if the place I rent is not cleaned. **

**[Content edited in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

What you can do, @Javier1666 : leave an honest review. Depending from how the host is reacting at the end.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I wonder if this is yet another case of a guest already 'on guard' because the cleaning fee comes across already suspect (aka too high).

The way I would have handled this is, as a host: tell the guest - "Boy we missed this one big time, will surely take it up with the cleaning crew. No problem, consider it done, cleaning fee waived. So how is the family, etc etc." Make light of the issue. Instill confident in the guest yuo are on top of things. Problem solved and life goes on.

As a guest, I would have said: 'Say, by the way the toilet was dirty and the dish washer was full of dirty dishes, I thought you would want to know" and give the host the chance to make it 'right'. It is going on the assumption that a mistake was made, which happens.

Having said that - it should serve as a reminder to all hosts that too high of a cleaning fee can cause an uncomfortable aura where it would not be otherwise. It is indeed one of main sore subjects with guests.

Javier1666
Level 2
Oakhill, United Kingdom

No, it’s no like that. It’s that I’m paying for a service that I was not given, and I hope you all understand I cant be waiting with the dirty toilet without using it until the host answers, as it looks like the problem is that I decided to clean it instead of having the host cleaning it  

@Javier1666 Do you accept that 90% of the cleaning was done (ie bed linen, towels floors etc. It was just the toilet and dishwasher missed. Certainly not good but not the heinous crime you are turning it into.