How Can I Handle Last-Minute Cancellations Without Affecting My Booking Rate?

How Can I Handle Last-Minute Cancellations Without Affecting My Booking Rate?

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently had a few guests cancel their bookings at the last minute, and it’s starting to affect my overall booking rate. I’m worried this might impact my listing’s visibility. Does anyone have advice on how to handle these situations effectively? Are there any strategies to minimize the impact of last-minute cancellations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 Replies 3
Elena4354
Level 10
Porto, Portugal

Hi @Abdullah202, if a guest cancels a reservation, it does not affect your rate.

Only if a host cancels a reservation, it affects your cancellation rate.

Also, if a guest cancels at the last minute, it will increase the visibility of your listing, which will increase your chances of getting another booking for your available dates (my experience😊).

Kind regards. 

Elena. 

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@Abdullah202 I have the same experience as @Elena4354. When a guest cancels, it seems to increase your chances of getting booked again (temporary prominent positioning in the search results). I often get a replacement booking very quickly. Just make sure your calendar is open. It's up to you whether you want to add a last-minute discount. A cancelation doesn't hurt the host ranking, as long as you're not the one canceling.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Abdullah202 The best strategy is to move to a Strict cancellation policy. It won't affect existing bookings but will apply to new ones.