How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How can I stop guests ignoring the check in time?

I really don't want to have to put it in CAPITALS at the beginning of my listing, as that's not very welcoming, but I am starting to get frustrated that so many guests simply ignore my check in time (3pm). It is in my listing and house rules, which I ask them to read.

Check out (12 pm) doesn't seem to be a problem. Occasionally a guest asks if they can leave bags and pick them up later, which is fine, but most leave earlier than noon with no fuss.

Check in is another matter. I would say that the majority of my guests want to come earlier. Some politely ask if that is an option, or if they can drop their bags earlier. Unfortuntely, a lot just assume they can come straight from the airport/train station and wouldn't have bothered to even communicate this to me had I not asked.

I always message them to ask what time they will arrive (the majority don't offer this information without a prompt). Even when I stress in my message that check in is from 3 pm onwards, they still respond saying, "We'll be arriving at 11 am." So, it's not that they don't know check in is after 3, they just simply don't seem to think it matters.

Even at a five star hotel with 24 hour reception, this is usually not okay.

Any tips for how I can prevent this? What am I doing wrong?!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0

I too have rooms in my home and I have to say this has never happened to me in a year and a half of hosting. I am not saying this will solve your issues, but this is what I do.

1. I don't confirm a booking until the guest provides me with a time in line with my check in time ie after 6p.m. during the week. If they are flying in I ask for their flight details.

2. If they want to arrive earlier I give them details of left luggage in the city centre

3. The day before I sent further details and confirm their check in time. I remind them of local cafes and pubs they can use if their plans change and they arrive a bit earlier. I ask them to message me on the day if they are likely to turn up after the agreed check in time.

You shouldn't have your whole day ruined by guests who behave like this. As you've learnt there is no benefit to you in agreeing early check in. Guests will always try and take advantage. As a host you need to be firm and polite and remind them that your check in time is XXX and that as an exception you agreed at no cost that they could leave their baggage much earlier.  You have plans for the day including cleaning of the house, so aren't able to have guests.

Point them in the direction of the tube stations and local cafes/bars and say that you look forward to seeing them later at the agreed check in time.

View Best Answer in original post

192 Replies 192
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0

And you thought I was kidding didn't you!!!

Crocodiles in the lake.png

It's a bit of silly banter of course and you have to pick your guests...everyones sense of humour is different. But the guest does get the point and gives me something to 'hang my hat on' as far as arrival in concerned. This approach is not for most hosts either. I am not a particularly 'private' person like many are, Huma. I came from a country background where we all sorted treated each other with a reasonable degree of familiarity, and from the start a guest knows they won't be dealing with a 21 year old 'check-in' chick.

This is not to say I am that continual in your face clown! If someone wants privacy that is exactly what they will get but most of my visitors seem to like my approach....and i am pretty sure the orginal concept of Airbnb would not have been very different from my approach

I am possibly in your situation just a little today, I have guests here from last night. It's 8.15am Sunday morn and they have just gone off for a walk with all their things still in the cottage. I have another guest tonight, and yet another tomorrow night, and the next. Unusual to strike 4 one nighters in a row so coordination is going to be the key. No mention of crocodiles here but I already have all my service stuff and re-supplies on hand so I can do a turnaraound in a couple of hours without cutting corners.

Huma, I am going to give some thought about this handling of guest arrivals and I will post something to you when I have come up with something that is sensible and workable.

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Robin4, I look forwa s to hearing your thoughts!

@Robin4 @David126, by the way, I stopped accepting one night bookings a while ago and set my minimum to two nights. Sure, I probably lost some revenue by doing this and I was in two minds about it, but it was just too stressful for me doing all the laundry and cleaning, correspondence and check in for one night's worth of fees, which is nothing as my rates are super cheap for London already.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I am absolutely following @Andrea9 @Ange2 and @Zacharias0's advice on this from now on.

Yesterday I had two sets of guest drop off their bags in the morning (I agreed to this before creating this thread). This is why that was a big MISTAKE:

1. Both pairs of guest misjudged their arrival times so my entire morning was disrupted. As a result, it took all afternoon to finish cleaning/get the rooms ready. I lost nearly the whole working day.

2. Although we had clearly agreed before that they would just drop off the bags and then come back in the afternoon to check in properly, once they were here, the guests wouldn't comply with this. The first pair simply refused to come back until late evening. I had made plans, so had no choice but to check them in fully even though the room wasn't ready and let them use the bathroom even though I hadn't cleaned it yet.

The second pair, who had previously messaged me saying "It is absolutely good for us, if we are able to drop off our bags. We will come back to your place at least half hour earlier you need to leave in order to get the necessary information," also then announced they wouldn't be back until late evening! Couldn't I just show them the room and give them the keys now? This time I put my foot down and said no. They agreed to come back early evening but wouldn't give me a time. As a result, I was two hours late to meet the old friends I hadn't seen in years.

3. The guests casually mentioned (for the first time) that they would be leaving their bags here after check out on their last day. They didn't ask me if this was okay, or what my schedule was, they just told me this is what they would be doing. So, that's another awkward conversation (and potentially bad review) if I don't let them have their way.

4. Even though I was doing them a favour, both pairs of guests looked extremely unhappy that I was asking them to check in at the times previously agreed. They were discussing it with each other in their own language so I couldn't understand, but I could see they thought I was being unreasonable, so that's probably 2 x low scores on 'welcome'.

NEVER AGAIN!!

I have recently started telling guests who want to drop off their bags early that, due to work commitments, I can't be here, and giving them info on left luggage facilities. Yesterday's experience has 100% convinced me that this is the way forward.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0 Interesting that your experiences culminated so fast! Hopefully you won't be slammed in their reviewing. Guests mostly tend to judge from the view of their own comfort regardless of whether they had agreed to a situation or not. Perceptive amnesia...

So try the new 'NO, so sorry', and see how that goes.

Thanks for sharing the new experiences. Reinforces my decision when I start feeling like a mean **bleep** 😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9, yes, I intend to and have already started this with recent bookings. I was just trying to be helpful by letting them drop off their bags early, but instead of making the guests happy, I end up looking like the mean b***h in their eyes! Now I feel like I have to go above and beyond to make them happy again.

Also, in general, the guests who arrive during the official check in time, when everything is ready for them and when they get offered something to drink, the full house tour etc. are so much more appreciative.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9, another pair of guests confirmed they'd read the listing and houserules and agreed to them (I've put the info about check in/check out right near the top). But still, when I asked them about arrival, they said they were coming early morning! 

So, this time, I said I'm really sorry but I can't be home because I'm working on the other side of London more than an hour away (true). I sent them detailed info and links re left luggage options.

Here's what they said:

"Thank you for the information on places that can hold our bags, I had no idea that was a thing we could do! As for check in we don't have a problem waiting for you to be available. Thank you so much!"

Followed by:

"Now knowing the great baggage resources you've given us we definitely plan on using them while we sight see during that day. Thank you! :)"

How about that? So far, so good.

Funny that the guests you bend over backwards to accommodate are often the least appreciative, whereas when you draw the line from the beginning, they are super nice about it!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0, Way to go and yeah, bending over backwards seems to reap a s****y crop so to speak.

I find myself getting more and more pro-active and suggestive.

When trying to get ETA I'll tell them my check-in time is from 14h on and that I won't be back home before that. And since I'll most probably still have to leave the house in-between to run an errand I'll need to know their estimated time of arrival, so that I can plan around them.

That pretty much guarantees no attempt on earlier arrival 🙂

If they mention arriving in the morning I'll tell them about the great luggage storage at Central Station.

Then there's the non contact, like guests arriving tomorrow.

I'll fire off my heavy shooter about having repeatedly tried to contact but not having heard back. Since I don't know at what point in the afternoon after 14h they'll be arriving (and I really need to squeeze in a couple of errands) they might be unlucky and not find me at home when they get here. But not to worry because I'll only be up to 15 min away - just call me on my phone, and I'll drop what I'm doing and come home.

This all in a very friendly way, and often I'll even feel bad, but then like you say, they'll accept it.

I think it's not so much about really getting their way but trying as a standard and finding it completely acceptable and logical - not because you're there (cleaning) but not willing (room not ready), but because you can't help not being there.

It's annoying enough fielding these repetitive issues that can waste precious time, head space, and emotions I need for other things, so at some point I kept implementing these protective BS filters. You can't prevent BS, but you'll smell it coming a mile away and already have  the reflective bounce-back up from the get go.

I'm so glad for the saved Airbnb messages options!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9, yesterday was a good day! As well as the nice messages from the guests above, I got a booking request that started:

"Hi there! I will be coming to London from X date - Y date for leisure, to see the sights, etc. I would love to be able to stay here! My flight arrives in London at 8:00 am but I plan on roaming the city a bit before I check in. I will only have a backpack with me for the week. (Don't want to drag around a gigantic suitcase!) So I will probably be there for check in around 3 or so. I will be alone."

Mmm, sounds like someone read the description/house rules and specifically the info they contain on check in times, providing arrival info when booking etc. Still, I always double check. This guest had read everything twice before sending the request. I'm really looking foward to hosting her.

Hallelujah! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks to you, @Helen and the other hosts for teaching me how to draw that line in the sand!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0 isn't it nice to know there are guests out there with respect to host wishes!

I'm getting guests this evening who were offline for several days (huh?? in Europe, how can that be I wonder...) with me sending off several messages about arrival time and yesterday evening the one about only being 15 min away in case I wasn't home when they turn up. ? Haha, got a message later with time they arrive in the city. A quarter of an hour later than my check in... sigh. That means that depending on how long it takes them to find a ticket and take the bus from that station on the other side of town it can well be more than an hour later than my check-in window. I've been mulling in my mind the best way to mention it in an aside, not as a reprimand but also to not let it slide in case their move was intentional. Because normally I'd charge 10,- more for having to stay up much later. I'll wait till they arrive to see what I'll do or not do...

You can bet you last euro I'll be clearly pointing out check out time - because ehhhhh, I have to leave soon after them, haha!

There's just so much investment of head space, messaging, and digging through unclarity that such 2-day bookings feel as though they are more work than profit. But hey, not really complaining, I'm glad for the booking and my questions and pro-active actions have just tightened up a notch  😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9, your advice is certainly working for me so far (the problematic check ins/outs I had the last few days were guests who booked before I started following it), so I'd say definitely stick to your rules re check in/check out. I guess it's just a matter of always finding a firm, but nice way to do it.

Here's another example.

ME: Hi X, I hope you and Y are well. I was wondering if you know your arrival time yet. Please bear in mind check in is from 3pm. Many thanks, Huma

GUEST: Hi Huma- we are looking forward to our trip! We arrive early on XYZ morning, so we are planning to be ready to check in right around 3, as long as that works for you!

See, no attempt to ask if they can check in early, drop off bags in the morning etc.

It's considerate guests like these and the lovely girl who read all the house rules twice that make up for the pain in the ar*e types who would otherwise put me off hosting altogether.

So, if I can do an earlier check in for these nice folks, I might offer them the option. I'm just not going to agree to it as standard anymore and no more bag drop offs, as they take up too much time/cause all sorts of problems.

My best advice is don't ask open questions.  My inquiries about arrival go, "As Check-In time is 3 PM and after, do you have an expected arrival time after 3 PM, yet?  Knowing this makes it easier to be available to help if you if necessary. "  

If they send me a note saying they will arrive early, "Great, I will be monitoring from 3 to 3:30 PM.  Please keep me up to date with your time if you decide to arrive later, this will make contacting me far easier."

Response to early arrival, "Due to insurance limitations and the Airbnb contract, I cannot allow early arrivals. There's a great coffee shop called "xxxxx" with great food just down the road where you can enjoy the time."

@Huma0 like I say more and more: WHAT YOU PERMIT YOU PROMOTE.   So sorry NO, that isn't possible - we DO NOT have to give an explanation or reason. Remember they don't read most stuff anyway. Short, sweet and straight to the point. 

.....Huma sounds like you have found a good solution to the baggage situation. I know it is difficult as most flights from overseas arrive early morning. so the luggage thing is important to figure out! 

Also, I  say check is is 3pm ...... (most of my guest drive to florida )

what is your ETA, estimated time of arrival? Please message me 30 mins before arrival as I wish to meet, greet and give a short tour of the cottage......

and it works everytime. If they want to come early I say so sorry the place will not be ready.......END OF discussion. Happy Hosting and Happy New Year

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Clara0

You are absolutely right of course. However, I have found that simply saying the place will not be ready doesn't always work, as that's when they ask if they can still drop off their bags.

I have found it more effective to say I can't be home before 3pm. One pair simply woudn't believe me and repeatedly asked to check in early and then showed up early at my house. They continued to disbelieve me until they saw my work schedule for the day written my calendar! I would say they were an exception though. Most people are smart enough to understand that you can't be in two places at once.

So true... give an inch and they take a mile, but it's never far enough....

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0

I too have rooms in my home and I have to say this has never happened to me in a year and a half of hosting. I am not saying this will solve your issues, but this is what I do.

1. I don't confirm a booking until the guest provides me with a time in line with my check in time ie after 6p.m. during the week. If they are flying in I ask for their flight details.

2. If they want to arrive earlier I give them details of left luggage in the city centre

3. The day before I sent further details and confirm their check in time. I remind them of local cafes and pubs they can use if their plans change and they arrive a bit earlier. I ask them to message me on the day if they are likely to turn up after the agreed check in time.

You shouldn't have your whole day ruined by guests who behave like this. As you've learnt there is no benefit to you in agreeing early check in. Guests will always try and take advantage. As a host you need to be firm and polite and remind them that your check in time is XXX and that as an exception you agreed at no cost that they could leave their baggage much earlier.  You have plans for the day including cleaning of the house, so aren't able to have guests.

Point them in the direction of the tube stations and local cafes/bars and say that you look forward to seeing them later at the agreed check in time.