How do I decline pre approval?

Answered!
Naomi75
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

How do I decline pre approval?

A host has asked me to decline pre approval for a property as Ive changed my mind.

How do I do that? 

1 Best Answer

Hello @Naomi75,

The host has already satisified Airbnb's scoring system requirements by responding to you with a pre-approval.

Had they just messaged you in response to your inquiry then their respponse time stat would be reduced.

But since they've pre-approved you within 24 hours their response time is all OK.

They can remove the pre-approval or just let it expire with no affect on their response time.

As a prompt for them to remove it you can tell them that this article  What is a pre-approval? says:

After 24 hours, the guest can still request to book your listing with the price offered during the pre-approval, unless you remove the pre-approval.

If they don't remove it and later increase their prices, their older, lower prices, are still valid for you.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Naomi75,

There is no option for a guest to decline pre-approval. The host must remove the pre-approval if they no longer want to offer it.

A pre-approval will expire in 24 hours.

If you want to you can suggest that they type "pre-approval" in the search box having clicked on "Help". There's an article there on how to remove a pre-approval.

The host can still receive and accept reservation requests when they've pre-approved some other potential guest as pre-approving doesn't block their dates.

Steve.

Thanks so much Steve. He said to "do a decline of the pre-approval offer" as "This is better for us both vis à vis Airbnb's scoring system" which I found strange. 

Hello @Naomi75,

The host has already satisified Airbnb's scoring system requirements by responding to you with a pre-approval.

Had they just messaged you in response to your inquiry then their respponse time stat would be reduced.

But since they've pre-approved you within 24 hours their response time is all OK.

They can remove the pre-approval or just let it expire with no affect on their response time.

As a prompt for them to remove it you can tell them that this article  What is a pre-approval? says:

After 24 hours, the guest can still request to book your listing with the price offered during the pre-approval, unless you remove the pre-approval.

If they don't remove it and later increase their prices, their older, lower prices, are still valid for you.

Steve.

I am a host. How do I decline? 

How do I decline a guest 

I would also know that if I decline a guest during the "inquiry" phase, will it impact my rating? I've been going back and forth with a guest who wants added discounts that I cannot offer, so I want to respectfully decline her request. Will this impact me as a host?

@Jason706  If it is an Inquiry, no, it won't affect your stats. Had you not answered her at all within the 24 hours, it would affect your response rate. But you don't have to decline either, really, unless you feel that's the only way to get her off your back. Just tell her that your prices are quite reasonable for what you offer and that you can't offer any discounts. She'll either decide to go ahead and want to book anyway (but understandable if you don't want her as guest-those that ask for discounts are usually red flags) or she'll vanish, never to be heard from again.