How do you charge a guest to clean up after a dog?

Answered!
Michael5778
Level 2
Arlington, VA

How do you charge a guest to clean up after a dog?

It is absolutely ridiculous Airbnb does not have an option for a pet cleaning fee.  You can charge for an extra human, but not a animal that leaves 10 pounds of fur behind and slobbered everywhere for 3 days.  Makes NO sense. 

I now have one cleaner, after each stay with a dog, dedicated to cleaning up dog hair and I am very close to not allowing dogs.   How do you charge a guest for the extra time and in my case, person, that has to clean up after the dog? 

Does anyone not allow dogs? 

1 Best Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Michael5778 I love all  animals, but Airbnb is not the platform on which to be a pet friendly host, so my listing is no pets. Funny how Airbnb push hosts to allow pets, but offer nothing in the way of support in return. Here is an interesting post on the subject of pets. Read through the comments. Great food for thought.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/New-to-Hosting/New-host-pet-stay-without-notice-advice/td-p/1419...

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35

@Sarah977 lol. the "fur baby" thing is especially true!

We have travelled with our animals, not because we needed to, but when we were moving interstate and had to find accomm that would allow us to have dogs and cats, and I've found the country places to be more understanding about animals in general, probably because country people all have medium-large dogs. 

Cherie54
Level 3
Indianapolis, IN

I asked Airbnb for a pet deposit that I could make a flat rate and refund any balance after charging for extra  cleaning or repairs .  They did not provide that anymore than the collect a real security deposit where we have the power to refund all or part.  Instead Air ASKS the guest to pay for damages which is ludicrous.  No hotel would consider doing it that way.

As AirBnB has been braindead on this issue for over 2 years, I have been forced to put my pet policy in my “thank you for booking” welcome letter.

I charge $10/night per pet.

Air implements a clueless flat fee of $20 that doesn’t take the number of pets or the length of stay into consideration! 🙄

So I have to use the “request money” feature to correct the fee amount for every guest with pets! 😖

It’s just lame that Air can’t (or wont!) create a simple feature that enables guests to disclose the # of pets, multiples that times nights booked times a _host determined_ nightly rate.

This is not rocket science!

come ON AirBnB! Get it together!

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

So it looks like Airbnb has revised the "Aircover" thing to cover pet damage. Before, the host guarantee did not cover pet damage. You can simply follow the instructions to submit an Aircover claim to get reimbursed. Basically first have a record of all evidence of the pet damage. Then you need to have some evidence for the loss amount -- detailed to each item either cleaning cost or replacement cost if damaged or beyond cleanable. Submit a "ask for money" request from the reservation and if guest does not respond or declines, you will have the option to involve Airbnb.

@Michael5778 

You are doing things incorrectly.

You should charge an X amount of dollars per pet and then pay your cleaners from that money.

Hope that helps!

I also don't allow pets of any kind. I also love animals but it does put extra work on myself, as a host who also cleans, and on the furnishings. Even a well behaved animal is just more wear and tear than I am willing to put up with.