How do you file a complaint against a host?

Answered!
Tammy37
Level 4
United States

How do you file a complaint against a host?

Had a confirmed booking, had already paid, then the host said he wanted $100 in cash on arrival as a surcharge.  We disagreed, but eventually cancelled, since we knew he would eventually cancel us out so he could gouge someone else.  

Because we cancelled, we have to eat the service charge.

Two questions:

1) how do we file a complaint against this host?

2) How can we petition to get the host to eat the service charge?

thanks,

Tammy

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If in the future you should ever need to cancel because of a host issue (it will probably never happen again, but anyway...) call Airbnb FIRST and let them cancel it for you, they will take appropriate action and you will not have to claim back the service charge.

Better to do it that way around, since you have to contact them anyway. If a host cancels, you get full refund and maybe even a little travel credit as a perk and comfort from Airbnb.

The host, on the other hand, gets slapped with a fine which is a reason why hosts do not want to cancel!

I wish all hosts just got on with doing the job we are here to do, rather than trying on a little scam on the side.

Better luck next time!

View Best Answer in original post

310 Replies 310

What time was your checkout?

Neil, in Australia

I want to get involvedin a class action law suit against Air BNB.  I am American, though I live in Italy.  Four months prior to my decision to spend 2 months in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I scouted many sites for extended stay options. The best location and offer for my budget was through Air BNB.  The total price for my 64 day stay was around $1700 USD.  I planned this 4 months inadvance so there would be no issues. When I arrived, I would have to stay there a long time, not like a couple of bad nights in a hotel. I had to pay almost $700 USD upfront non-refundable. It made me uncomfortable, anything can happen in 4 months.

I asked the host if the room had a full length mirror, for dressing purposes, she said no. She said she could buy one and I would be charged for it. I said fine.  One of the reason I chose this unit was it advertised a washer/dryer which appeared to be in the apartment. I asked in advance if wifi was included and she said yes. I said it was the most important thing for me as I need it for business.

4 months later I arrive. I texted the host from the airport letting her know I was on my way on time. When I arrived, she was cold, not at all friendly. I had just come from a 15 hour flight.

We got into the room and she said there was no internet, it had been out in the building since the day before and it was up to chance when it would return. (it did turn on later)

I asked about the washer/dryer and she said it was 3 floor above and a shared laundry area.

That was not explained in the ad.  I asked her how it operated and she said it took special coins that you had to go down the street to purchase. I was exasperated. I asked fo the address of the place, she never gave it to me.

I got settled and sent her an email, the kitchen drain was slow to work and the hall light was out and the kitchen under counter light fixture broke and fell to the counter when I tried to turn it on.  I went to sleep. Within hours, I got an email saying my "reservation" had been cancelled. I would need, to leave that day. I thought it was a joke. I was having surgery the next day, I was exhausted and now baffled. How could a property owner throw you out, when you had taken possession of the unit, and it was paid for, the first installment required.

I called Air BNB and they said it was the owners perogative to do what they wanted.

This is legally nuts. There is no protection for the consumer. I asked where my money was and she said, "in your Air BNB account".  So I had no access to my money to get another place if I could find one for the same amount of money and in the same location.

I asked if there were any penalties for the host and she would say, meaning none.

I told her, I wasnt going anywhere. I had a contract that was binding for me, but apparently not for the host. I said I would sit there and if they brought the police, we would have a picnic. Air BNB took another 5 hours out of my llfe, saying they would help me find alternative lodging and that never happened. By mid-afternoon, the air BNB rep called with "good news" the host has changed her mind and if I stopped complaining about the things that needed to be repaired she would "let" me continue with my original contract. I am not a lawyer, but this is absurd. The host has no obligation to me,  but I do have a contractural relatioship with airbnb, and where does the host fit into this legalese??

Its a corrupt system that does nothing to protect the consumer and hides the relationship between the host and their colluding partner, air BNB.  

I want to join the fight in exposing this. I could have been, and still might be out of a great deal of money, depending on the mood and whim of the host. I am stuck here and I came on a budget. If I am forced out again, which could happen anytime, I have no where to go, when you think about it, they have a big chunk of my money which could take months to get back to me, if ever.

Help me go after air bnb.

Hi Jeannie,

We are in a similar situation, although, not nearly as dire. We are really fed up with Airbnb: their protection of the hosts and seemingly none for guests.

I live in San Francisco and would love to organize some sort of legal action against this unethical company.

Hello, Jacqueline.   

Did you get a response  about legal action against Airbnb?  I just returned from a filthy experience in Massachusetts.  

I completely agree. No other entity with which I do business makes it this hard to contact customer service.

let me rephrase.  YOU made it easy to contact airbnb,  but airbnb did not!

Very true. You cannot easily contact airbnb 

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Tammy37 I'm sorry to hear that you cancelled as this type of behavior is against Airbnb's Terms of Service and could result in his or her listing being removed from Airbnb.  There are 2 violations here: 1. asking you to pay more for a confirmed reservation and, 2. asking you to pay outside of Airbnb's payment system.  If the host did not want to honor the reservation, he should have cancelled at his end and suffered the attendant Airbnb penalities for cancelling. 

Hopefully the host's request for more money was in Airbnb's message thread so it was recorded and is available for Airbnb to read. 

I would advise that you contact Airbnb about this.  Here's all the ways you can do this: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

In addition, I would flag the listing using the small flag icon under the Save to Wish List  area using the Other option to describe your experience.  Trust and Safety will review and take the appropriate action with the host. 

I hope this helps! 🙂

I also had this very dissapointing experince with BnB host named Lourdes Cadayona. I already reserved a unit and deposited 50% of the amount to her bank account more than a month before our check-in dates. She assured me that the unit is reserved for us on our preferred dates. I txted her to confirm our schedule. She informed me that our schedule was booked by another person and she just wanted to refund my deposit. I would not know this situation if I didnt txt her first. My point is why didnt she inform me ahead of time. We also have our schedule and due to what happened our sched is ruined. I want to inform air bnb about this kind of host so it wont happen to others. Really sad!

Chris525
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Holidays are so precious we work all year to get a nice break away, then some greedy host ruins it for us. This is a fault whereby maybe airbnb can try and police things better. Of course it's not airbnb's fault they are taking the host at face value. However maybe there should be some more checks and safeguards put in place, otherwise what was a spectacular concept will eventually be ruined by the  unscrupulous hosts greed.

Hi Ella - I am in the middle of a sticky problem with an unscrupulous host as well. Airbnb is naturally geared to favouring the host. It is completely unregulated. It won't take responsibility for host actions - even though guests actually contract with Aribnb. I work for a litigation funder - and am considering launching  class action against them by guests who have been financially disadvantaged by Airbnb's lack of accountability. Please email me with your contact details if you'd like to participate. It would be no cost to you. Please email me at [Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

- I can provide more details.

Dear Ella. You are dealing with Airbnb amature hosts who are often greedy and after getting large some out of their dirty places. Use agod or other official booking services and stay away from Airbnb. I am initiating  a legal action against Airbnb CA and I am inviting you to share  your voice:[Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

or faceboook Samuel **

There was no way to describe your experience when you selct the "other" option. Who to I call or e-mail to make a complaint? 

Kate782
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Claire,

your comment is very helpful. You seem to have alot of experience to get to a level 10.

Could you explain a little more making comments under the small flag option?

Is AirBNB interested in the fact that for my AirBNB, the access was not even listed on the correct street, that it was actually on a totally different street and then you had to go down a flooded, unlit lane with loose paving in the water, meaning that you have to lift and carry bags to get in?

It seems to me that AirBNB, like Uber do not care about thier customers.

- thanks, Kate

Hi @Kate782 , I hope that it is me to whom you are addressing your question. :--)

From what you describe, your complaint is more about the listing information and the difficulty you had accessing the space. In other words, it is not that the host took a overt action but rather failed to adequately describe the listing information.  

If so, you should leave a review describing the issues you had with the appropriate star rating.  Reviews from guests sting hosts more than any censure from Airbnb since they cannot be removed or edited once published and they are there for the world and potential guests to see.  Sure, the host can leave a response, but the critism is still there.  

As an example, in my area we had record rains that severly damaged the driveway to my listing and a guest noted in their review (which was generally very nice) that fortunately they had an SUV to access the guest house.  Yike, I thought that this was going to drive away guests who may get the impression they needed an all-terrain vehicle to get there.  It was a relatively accurate review and I could not blame them for the mention of the road condition. 

Your honest review should contain the following: 

1. The place to access the listing was not adequately described. 

2. The access was flooded. 

3. The pavers were uneven. 

4. It was difficult to carry your bags to the actual entrance. 

This will give future guests accurate information on what you experienced. 

Otherwise, to report a host, click on the host's profile picture and at the end of the reviews you will see a Report This Profile link where you can select from some options to report.  Likely this will not be as effective as leaving an honest review. 

I hope this helps!