Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How do you make sure your listing smells nice?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make sure your listing smells nice?

image8.jpg

Hi everyone, 

The way a house smells when you first step in through the door might not be something everyone actively thinks about, but it is really important. Our sense of smell is often used as an indicator of how clean or welcoming a place is. 

There are many ways to make sure your listing smells inviting: whether it’s open windows, scented cleaning products, essential oil diffusers, air fresheners, candles, or natural things such as potpourri or plants.

We’d love to hear your tips: how do you make sure your listing smells nice for your guests?

Thanks, 

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

47 Replies 47
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

My goal is a scent-free room. No smoking allowed. Wash everything in scent-free detergent. Run fans placed at the windows after each guest. If there's any hint of a smell then I shampoo the carpets. Fortunately I own a Hoover rug cleaner. I've had guests either accidentally spill cologne / perfume or intentionally spray it on the carpet.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie @Sharon1014 @Pete69 @Hollie6 @Kevin1322 

Would agree fresh air, but also ironing water in the steam mop.

Love Mrs Meyer but v.expensive in the uk.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh yeah, ironing water!! Like being a kid again and my mum ironing 5 kids school uniforms on a Sunday @Mike-And-Helen0 

-----

@Stephanie @Mike-And-Helen0  Okay, you Brits- what in the world is "ironing water"? 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

HAHA I'm sorry @Sarah977 , it's exactly has it sounds. So you add it to the water you use in a steam iron and it adds a nice smell as you iron. Like fabric conditioner but at the ironing stage. This was always my mum's favourite:

Stephanie_0-1583509242735.jpeg

-----

Great tip! Wow.  Will be getting some of that ironing water ASAP, we have tiled the entire downstairs and have a steam mop. Thanks for sharing that one.

Simon2374
Level 3
Meilen, Switzerland

I sometimes use an ozone generator after having "smelly" guests. It's very usefull if you want to get rid of strong smells in textiles like curtains and sofas and do not have that much time. It's important though to stick to the safety instructions. It's dangerous during the procedure but the ozone completely dissolves to oxygen after the treatment. 

I had a regular guest which didn't smoke in the appartment but still left the smell of cigarettes and he also used to cook spicy food. Instead of refusing having this guest again, I decided to buy the ozone generator with the money I earned thanks to him.  I also now have the possibillity to rent out the ozone generator on a specific platform to other people for applications like clearing smells out of used cars or moldy RVs. This also generates some additional income.

Lana15
Level 4
Cannon Rocks, South Africa

I also open windows and sliding doors to the Indian ocean breeze. 

The salty air sometimes smells like bamboo or even fish...or just dunes. 

I am more active on other forums ..and once cleaned out the house nicely and washed curtains for a fresh smelling ,summer holiday house for my new guests arriving from America. 

As I opened the windows and doors the next morning a terrible smell came wafting into the house ,filling every corner of every room. 

I could not make sense of it and went all over. Checking cupboards and bins and even our own quarters downstairs. But my nose led me to the beach...and a dead whale was there directly in front of the house. Firmly lying there for at least the next turn of the tide if we were lucky. 

Nothing could budge the oily,one of a kind ,smell in the air and the house. 

I sent a message to guests and told them about the incident .To my astonishment they rushed here to inspect the carcass and take photos and never once mentioned the smell ! They were from an aquatic institute for bio-diversity and just loved the experience on their doorstep for the next 3days. 

How lucky can one be. ? 

My mom believes in vanilla ...and we use that for cooking smells. 

Pine jel is also a handy cleaner for the mouldy smells houses built on sand can develop. 

I boil a pan of vinegar to get rid of airborne smells, and after a thorough scrubbing I use Mrs Meyer organic cleaning products made with essential oils, and open windows.  Interestingly, I have learned that some guests need the smell of standard cleaning products to think 'clean' and fresh, while others think them 'smelly', and use indicates a dirty place. I do use isopropyl alcohol in the bathroom and on light switches and door knobs, sometimes more than usual depending on guests.

I recommend 'Perfume' by Patrick Süskind, it's a novel all about the powerful effect of smells. A fascinating read.

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

@Ange2 

Wonderful book!  Good film adaptation too but nothing beats the original text to evoke all the scents in your mind 🙂  

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I rent monthly and for some reason my last two guests laid around in their room more than normal. After awhile I walked by the room and it started to smell like a nursing home. One guy thankfully only needed a place for two months and between an open window, a fan blowing out the window and an air purifier his stench stuck around- it took two weeks for the smell to leave the room. The other guy was on a month to month deal that started on Airbnb but it seemed he was never going to move out so i gave him notice. He just became too comfortable and his room had a stench as I walked by it. I couldnt take it anymore. I'll use the suggestions everyone provided.

Dina47
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I checked into a beautiful Airbnb in Vancouver BC..   but what ruined it was the strong scent of Bounce Fabric Softener.  I had to sleep with my shirt over my nose... it was on everything.. linens, towels.  

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

While smells are such a personal choice @Stephanie ,we tend to use environmental friendly household cleaners that are non fragrant or mild smelling. In the bathroom after it has been cleaned I add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to one or two rolls of toilet paper that is kept in a cane basket , or left in the cupboard in the bathroom to keep these rooms smelling fresh.

Every room is aired , duvets and pillows taken out to be shaken and left in the sun. While covers and blankets are laundered and hung out to dry, it is hugely satisfying when all the beds are made with fresh clean bedding , the clean towels are all folded , vacuumed floors and surfaces wiped down clean and the cleaning chores are completed til the next guest check outs. I do use diffusers, put fresh herbs and cut flowers in vases too and if some guests are sensitive to these smells they can easily be put outside or into another room.

Like most hosts, when all is done and the final inspection complete I know guests just appreciate walking in to such a clean and cared for place.

There have been so many great posts, thanks for sharing everyone!👍🏾

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2484 @Stephanie @Dina47 @Kevin1322 @Jeanie12 if you want isopropyl alcohol in the UK it is surgical spirit (which smells fabulous to me).

I’m a big proponent of opening windows before a guest arrives and immediately after. No matter the season. Fresh air.