Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How have you other host handled a lying guest?

Answered!
Monica2316
Level 1
Washington, DC

How have you other host handled a lying guest?

I had a guest that, came to the property and didn't like the area. She said that she went and walked her dog and a man looked at her and she was not comfortable. I have a no-refund policy on my listing. She called Airbnb and said that my place was dirty and had a smell. Airbnb did not consider me the host, only her, even though I gave them pictures. How have any of you handled a situation like this before?

Top Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would handle the situation by refusing a refund outside of your cancellation policy @Monica2316 

I would call CS explain that your place was fully clean on arrival with no smell (direct them to the photos) 

Did you offer to go over to listing to look at issues she claimed here unclean  and ask the guest to provide photos of areas she indicated weren't clean ? 

View Top Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would handle the situation by refusing a refund outside of your cancellation policy @Monica2316 

I would call CS explain that your place was fully clean on arrival with no smell (direct them to the photos) 

Did you offer to go over to listing to look at issues she claimed here unclean  and ask the guest to provide photos of areas she indicated weren't clean ? 

Thank you for your reply. I did send the ambassador pictures of the place prior to her checking in. She also sent a few pictures one of which had a stain on the carpet that was not there before she came. I swear she lied about any smell. Here are a few of the pictures. 

IMG_3790.jpeg

IMG_3791.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg

IMG_3423.jpeg

IMG_3418.jpeg

IMG_3408.jpeg

 on the carpet here that is a bleach discoloration not dirt. 
I tried sending more pictures but was unable to but I hope you can get the just of my property. 

Sent by guest 

IMG_4088.png

IMG_4086.png

 there was a few more more pictures but I can’t get them to send. One had a stain the was not there before they came to the house. Another was a rust picture that I have never seen before. Then the was the tub that had a little discoloration from the removable grate that I cove the drain to make sure objects don’t go down the drain. We use ammonia and baking soda to clean the tubs and a brush. We clean carpets once a month. We did have two areas that had a bleach discoloration but was not dirt. So I just don’t understand. How can the guest be allowed to lie and effectively get away with it. How do you protect yourself from this type of behavior?