How often do you message guests?

Teresa1505
Level 2
Prescott, AZ

How often do you message guests?

New host here. I have noticed that everyone seems to have different styles of communication with their guests. I have been sending a thank you message upon booking, and one day before they arrive to confirm check in info. That’s it. I personally hate it when I receive a message after check in saying, “is everything ok?” That makes me assume something terrible has happened. I recently stayed at an Airbnb and the host sent NO personalized messages at all. They relied on Airbnb automated emails. Does anyone have any tips/advice on this. Thanks!

22 Replies 22
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

So far I've been sending a message with check in instructions right after booking, and let them know I'll send another the morning of check in. No problems but can also see the advantage of messaging the day before. I have a beach parking pass as a bonus that I like to see if the previous guest returned it before offering it, so I'm not on the hook for $15 parking, but could rephrase it and let them know if the guest remembered to return it. 

@John5097 I wouldn't do that. Unmet expectations create resentment.

@Lisa723 yeah good point I may send one night before and morning of. Usually I let them know the morning of if it can be ready a little sooner, but if guest mention that in the review then guest want earlier check in. This isn't easy! lol 

@Teresa1505 

Like other hosts have said, I think it all depends. 

Before I closed temporarily due to covid, most of my guests were long-term international exchange students so there was a lot of communication immediately before and after the booking, especially because many of my guests were coming to Korea for the first time and needed to pack for a 4~5 month stay. Since Henry and I are on-site homeshare hosts with a private room listing, we did not rely on messages for communication once the guest checked in, but I don't see anything wrong with following up / checking up with the guest to see if they they checked in okay. Some people assume no news is good news, others want to double check and make sure everything is okay. I usually adjust a little bit depending on how the guest responds. If they seem open/eager to communicate, we do so more frequently. If they seem to want to do their own thing with minimal communication, we provide the necessary information and only ask that the guest confirms they got it, understand, and don't need help but know how to contact us in case they do - then we will leave them alone. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

2 or 3 messages, usually. To confirm the booking and to send the check-in instructions.

I have self checkin after 4pm. If I do not hear from guest I assume all went smoothly. 24 hours later I send a polite hope you had a smooth checkin enjoy our home, here if you have any questions . 

Hania120
Level 2
Boston, MA

I  sent 3 automated messages:

1. When they make a booking to thank them and let them know that I will send checkin instructions 1 day before check in date.

2. Very detailed check in instructions 24 hours before check in.

3. Check out instructions and thank you note 24 hours before check out.

I do check with them after their arrival to see how everything is in the apartment. Ask if the check in was smooth, if everything is good in the apartment and again if they need recommendations for places to eat or see. I think guests really appreciate that follow up. As other folks mentioned here, it also covers me (to some extent) in case guest claim after they leave that the apartment was not to their standards or something didn't work. Usually they let me know quickly if something breaks. 

After that email a day after they check in, I don't communicate so they can enjoy their time and not be bothered. I get 5 star rating for communication so I think it works 🙂

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Go to an airbnb yourself and decide what you think you would have liked to have.

ONE message a week out about check in
ONE message with check in info, wifi, keypad codes, etc day before arrival or arrvial day
WELCOME DAY message, is everything OK? we are here, we care, message us if you need something
DEPARTURE DAY -1 day before dparture make sure check out rules OK

We send other community notices if local situation necessary such as our current drought/water restriction and housekeeping notices.