How should I handle a guest who left the place in a mess

Robbie131
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

How should I handle a guest who left the place in a mess

We just had a guest check out who stayed with his family of 3 for almost a full month. He was very friendly and we talked to him a lot and he was very respectful. 

He checked out today and asked us to look around and showed us that he cleaned the place, replaced some damage towels and showed some minor damage that he made. All good so far.

When he left, myself and my mother started cleaning and planned to do a deep clean but we found dirt and food in every little gap around the place. There was lots of damage on the walls. The markings on the gas stove had been washed away. Pots had burnt oil on them. All the cutlery had been poorly washed and needed to be done again. And he’s just used the shower head to hose everything in the bathroom down. As a result the units in the bathroom have paints peeling off them and need to be replaced.

My Dad helped clean too and so far we’ve spent 12 hours between us cleaning and fixing stuff and still have to spend another 2-3 hours tomorrow to get it ready for the next guest. 

i messaged the guest about this and he’s surprised and sad to hear this as he really enjoyed his stay and tried to leave the place clean.

How do I handle this situation? We factored in 2-4 hours of cleaning but now it’s been 12 hours and we’re going to spend hundreds replacing units in the kitchen and bathroom.

Do I request the guest to cover extra cleaning and replacing units or try claim through Airbnb? I saw some other similar posts that said it’s hard to get money from Airbnb on this and I can’t see the guest agreeing to pay hundreds of euros for this.

2 Replies 2
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

No, I would not ask guest for money for the extra cleaning.  The guest was there for almost a month.  Going forward, plan on and schedule the space for more cleaning time for lengthy stays. 

Karen

What do you think about the costs to replace units? We spent a little over €200 today on new kitchen and bathroom units and spent 4-5 hours replacing them ourselves. If we had to pay someone it would have been about €50-€75 an hour to do it.