Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How should I handle this reservation?

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How should I handle this reservation?

This reservation was made some time ago and I have been in communication with the guest, the picture was of an older couple. They were coming for a birthday celebration.

Today it turns out that the birthday boy is 17 to turn 18, still 17 during the stay, dad created the account for him to use. He claims dad will be there with him. All this time I was talking to the son. The rest of the guests are 17. I require parent guardians to be at the house. This is primarily to avoid underage parties. If his dad will truly be there the whole night, it is good enough for me. Or is it not? Should I ask for permission slips? And make those permission slips really explicit- like I recognize that so and so will chaperone my child and will take on liability? Stick to my rules? Talk to the dad on the phone?

Top Answer
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Inna22 

Decline and report. This won't end well.

I met one family during check in because they couldn't figure out the lock box. Young adult woman, her mother, and her grandmother. They were very nice and wanted a gal's weekend. Except it wasn't...It was a 21st birthday party that we have to intervene on. Decline and report. 

View Top Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

If you value your property don't take any risks. Keep to your lines.

If they don't adhere to your requests, ask Guest to cancel, or if not, get Airbnb to cancel.

Guests are anyway on shaky ground given 'dad created the account' for a 17 years old.

It shouldn't have been possible, and that's Airbnb's responsibility. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  Even if dad is present, that's no guarantee that dad isn't just going to be as much of a hassle as a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds. And really, do you think that a dad that sets up an account with a profile photo of an older couple to book a place for his 17 year-old to have a party sounds like a responsible, trustworthy adult? Especially when they led you to believe, for some time, that you were messaging with the booker.

No way I'd touch this with 10 ft. pole. Red flags all over it. I'd be contacting Airbnb to cancel.

@Sarah977 you’re right, I should probably not trust the dad that aided his son in this

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Inna22  17 turning to 18 parties, there no chance this is not going to go crazy, anyone turning  18 wants to make it big and wild. No way this will end in a positive note, with nbre of guests

I think u had a similar case not long ago with father chaperone kids for the party and they turn up as many more guests than expected.

I will not take a single chance on someone turning 18,

@Marie82 yes, good memory. So you think cancel them?

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Inna22 honestly i don't like 18 years group or turning 18, it is risky group

when I have guess less than 25years old and I am aware of it I don't sleep well till they check out.

If they are from neighbourhood i cancel them by calling Airbnb as I do not accept local guests, 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  Really, how many 17-18 year olds have you known who would be into having a party with their parents present to chaperone? 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Inna22 the reservation breaks ts and cs because the account holder is not 18 surely?

Get CS to cancel. 

Why is the Dad not hosting the party if they're such good boys?!

@Mike-And-Helen0 

Maybe dad doesn't want to p*ss off his neighbours with a real noisy party?

This dad created a profile for his son showing the pic of an elderly couple - this is it for me. I would never host a 17 year old who's father is a liar.

@Inna22  this is either a third party booking or an underaged booking and none of that is allowed on airbnb for very good reasons. Have airbnb cancel the whole thing.

@Mike-And-Helen0 @Ute42  theoretically it does not because dad set it all up in his name. The child is just communicating through dads account. And they are claiming the dad will be there

@Inna22 

If all goes belly up and your house ends up getting thrashed - or worse - with the father absent, you can bet your life that Airbnb will consider it a third party booking that you were complicit in, and you'll be left carrying the can, on your own, with no back-up from Airbnb. This booking has "disaster waiting to happen" stamped all over it.

@Inna22  I think you've had some recent experiences with people saying one thing and doing another? For all you know, the profile photo is something they pulled off the internet somewhere, or a photo of the next-door neighbors.- we all know how well Airbnb vets guest ID. And if this was all set up and is going to be attended by dad, why has dad not been communicating with you instead of the son?

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Inna22  

You came to us and asked us what You should do bc You were unsure what to do. We now gave You our oponions, but it is You who has to make a decision. It's Your place, not ours.

What You are doing right now is, You are considering to execute a reservation that has red flags all over it. The chances that this will go well are 10% and 90% that it will go wrong. And if it does go wrong, airbnb will leave You high and dry.

Good luck.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Inna22 

Decline and report. This won't end well.

I met one family during check in because they couldn't figure out the lock box. Young adult woman, her mother, and her grandmother. They were very nice and wanted a gal's weekend. Except it wasn't...It was a 21st birthday party that we have to intervene on. Decline and report.