How should i charge for ruined bedding/mattress?

Nicola3611
Level 1
Glenridding, United Kingdom

How should i charge for ruined bedding/mattress?

Hi, i would like advice.  I had guests to stay this week-end in a room in my home (its got a separate entrance so i didnt meet them), they were ridiculously loud til midnight, and when i woke at 5am still super loud... laughing, shouting etc.  they then moved to the outside space and did same.  I live in the middle of no where half was up a mountain, so the peace is perfect... guests in my hut outside also woken by them.  BUT... main problem is they spilt some horrible orange alcopop drink on the bedding, i cant get the stain out of the sheet and mattress protector and also the actual mattress cover. so its a huge orange mark about 5 inches diameter, and bigger on the sheet (i can replace the sheet).  i want to charge for the mattress really. BUT... i also have a problem, i overheard them saying the sink wasnt clean.  and my friend said they were moaning about everything earlier in the evening. he over heard them... they were loud.  I had a friend staying the night before who used their bathroom, i hadnt realised, and i left at 5am for work, so no idea if it really was a dirty sink or not. so i feel i cant charge for soiled bedding, as the sink and loo may not have been up to scratch? should i just leave it or charge £50 for soiled bedding (to replce them it would be over £100? i dont state that i would charge for damaged stuff in my description, so not sure if that's acceptable or not?

Can anyone help? Nicola. 🙂 

4 Replies 4

Hi @Nicola3611 ,

Dealing with situations like this can be tricky, but here's a concise plan of action:

Document the Damage: Take clear photos of the stained bedding, mattress protector, and mattress cover as evidence for any claims.

Review Policies: Check Airbnb's policies on damages. Guests are generally responsible for damages beyond normal wear and tear, even if not explicitly stated in your listing.

Communicate Clearly: Reach out to the guests politely but firmly. Describe the damages and inquire about their perspective. This helps clarify responsibility and willingness to cover costs.

Charge Appropriately: Considering the replacement cost of over £100, a £50 charge for stained bedding seems fair and reasonable.

Consider Cleanliness Concerns: Address the cleanliness complaint about the sink cautiously. If unsure about its condition before their stay, it may be challenging to enforce charges solely based on this issue.

Request Compensation: Use Airbnb's Resolution Center to formally request compensation for damages. Upload photos and details to support your claim.

Update Listing: Consider updating your listing to include clearer expectations regarding guest responsibilities for damages.

Maintain professionalism and clear communication throughout. Airbnb's support team can assist through their Resolution Center if needed.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish management

Ali18737
Level 2
Oxford, MS

Hi Nicola,
Sorry to hear about what happened. The average lifespan of a mattress is 7-10 years. If the damage requires replacement, I will prorate the damage cost based on the mattress's age. For a mattress that is 10 years old, there would be no charge. However, for a mattress that is two years old, I would charge approximately 65-80% of the original cost.

Abiola306
Level 1
Manama, Bahrain

If the bedding or mattress is ruined beyond redemption, I’ll take a photo of it, search for the details and price of a similar replacement mattress online, upload both photo and link to similar mattress to the “request money” portal and ask the guest politely to pay for the damaged Mattress. Ask Airbnb to mediate if they decline.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicola3611 

If guests are ridiculously loud go over and remind them they are in a shared home and to keep noise to a minimum late at night. 

you can send the guest evidence of the damage and ask compensation but some guests will then leave retaliatory reviews @Nicola3611