How to deal with guests asking questions about the safety of the neighbourhood?

Answered!
Wayne101
Level 2
New York, United States

How to deal with guests asking questions about the safety of the neighbourhood?

Hello, I honestly don’t know if I’m being too sensitive or if what I’m experiencing is a problem but check this out. 

Guests, who are mostly white, have asked my wife, who is also white, if the area that they chose to book, where we live, is safe. Now, when these same guests see me they don’t ask me any questions and one was even rude when meeting me for the first time. Another went as far as to cut me off mid speech 

Now these same guests leave reviews that the area is “run - down” after booking in a place they say they feel is “unsafe” and I’m left with reviews that are bi-polar since some say the area is amazing and others say the area is scary. 

I guess im just venting now but my wife keeps getting this questions is the neighborhood is safe and those folks ask us this after checking in then leave bad reviews on the neighborhood. What can I do about this? 

One person went as far as to book and then tried to cancel the day of her booking then left the Airbnb after being there one day and said the area scared her she was supposed to be there 5 days......like is there a way to prove these kinds of things to be false? 

And isnt calling a neighborhood “run - down” inappropriate? 

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I think your reviews are great overall. Some guests will think it is safe, others not, depending on how they live and are used to things. Some guests are rude full stop. Also, they might not think of asking you regarding safety as you are a man and it is your wife, being a woman, who most keenly will have a finger on the pulse of the neighbourhood. Just a thought, anyway.

If I was travelling to anywhere in America (or other place I hear scary stories about) I would try to research the area I was planning to stay in as I have zero street awareness, being more used to a quiet rural setting. Not sure that I would ask the host, but I would read the local paper online etc just to get a feel for it.

View Best Answer in original post

57 Replies 57
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I think your reviews are great overall. Some guests will think it is safe, others not, depending on how they live and are used to things. Some guests are rude full stop. Also, they might not think of asking you regarding safety as you are a man and it is your wife, being a woman, who most keenly will have a finger on the pulse of the neighbourhood. Just a thought, anyway.

If I was travelling to anywhere in America (or other place I hear scary stories about) I would try to research the area I was planning to stay in as I have zero street awareness, being more used to a quiet rural setting. Not sure that I would ask the host, but I would read the local paper online etc just to get a feel for it.

Wayne101
Level 2
New York, United States

and I’m okay with that, if a person is not comfortable I recommend them to always acknowledge there safety as top priority so that they feel comfortable in there decisions. Also it makes sense to research your environment

But my road block is why still book? If they are scared about the area why not book elsewhere? 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps @Wayne101, best not to see things through a 'black & white' prism, because that is usually a bottomless social quagmire.  Good people are not blind, but they tend to judge on only merit rather quickly.

Regardless, Some guests are fearful and some are bold, some want manicured environments while others do not mind imperfections, some love diversity while the opposite is only comfortable with people like them, and so on. 

We all have somewhat unique places, and it always best to host the type of guest that best 'fits' whatever we are actually offering; those hosting experiences will usually turn out to be the most rewarding.

Wayne101
Level 2
New York, United States

I am not a fan of seeing things as “black and white” but when I’m approached differently then my wife the question in my mind is what am I doing differently than she is. She even acknowledges how it’s odd that she gets that question as often as she does and I don’t. 

Anyhow, my primary issue is I don’t want to host people that do not want to be here but they still book....how do I curb that. If a person doesn’t like the environment that is okay but to say “I heard the area isn’t safe” then book. Then leave a 2 Star review is ridiculous. Also, I am almost never aware of the guests fear of the area prior to booking because they ask my wife upon arriving. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Wayne101 It think it is because she is female,females are more fearfull ( as much as I hate making assumptions about individuals but that is the common opinion ) and that is why she is getting the safety questions to get her point of view, not because she is white.

Wayne101
Level 2
New York, United States

There was a diversity of guests that lived here at some point asain, Black, and white. My wife was the only white person who clear lives here and is not visiting. The Asian person, a friend of ours, got the safety question 1 time from a male I got it 2 times. My wife got that question more than 5 times. I am not making this post about race but the reality is that there is something visible about her that people see that makes them comfortable asking her instead of me or my friend. Anyhow, If you take it as a female thing that’s okay 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Wayne101 i honestly believe so, and some people just have that energy that makes people trust them, I guess your wife is one of them. Those people are rare and that is a compliment. Both of you seem like a lovely people and I wouldn't get too upset about that. I googled your neighbourhood and the wikipedia page said "murder capital of nyc" and for someone that comes to new york for the first time it can be a bit off putting, I am not surprised that people ask those questions.

Wayne101
Level 2
New York, United States

I get what your saying Ana, and I apologize if I come across defensive but that is my primary issue. If you google the area, and are afraid, then why book? But thank you for sharing what you found on the web 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Wayne101 maybe they book because it is cheaper and they can't afford going to more expencive places. And others book because they don't care about the neighbourhood that much. Some people may be used to big cities and the things they come with, for others its frightening. And some guests know where they are booking and will still give you lower rating for location,it is discussed many times on this forum. Don't take it to personally, it is how some people are, it comes with the job 🙂

Wayne101
Level 2
New York, United States

Makes sense. I appreciate your insights Ana, thank you 

@Wayne101   It may be a gender thing, but I can see it as a stereotyped race issue as well. Like of course you wouldn't find it unsafe because you're black and are probably used to living in "unsafe" areas. (Not my sort of thoughts, but maybe some guests')

Description, description & description; make it as tight (thruthful) but as inviding as you can make it. After that you done your part.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Wayne101 the question isn't weird, it is a legitimate concern. If I travel in an unfamiliar place I would also want to know which area is safer, as we all know that not every neighbourhood is the same. Probably wouldn't ask the host and just google it but some people want to hear it from their hosts and I believe there is nothing wrong with that. It is a matter of feeling comfortable and safe which is a priority and not a question of 'black or white'. On the other hand I can see why would you feel offended, it is your place of choice and it is not easy to hear some people question it. I have had the same question asked many times and Ohrid is probably one of the safest places on earth, nothing ever happens here but we don't expect guests to just know that, but we all know that the crime rates in New York are not that low and it is a normal concern to have, it is nothing personal with you.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

A New York host here on the forum did a great thing with his listing, he photographed the street and nearby park, for absolute accuracy. Looked a little rough to me, but by looking at this I would know exactly what I was coming to. So you could stop the guests guessing games by posting pics of the surroundings. Take a picture of your wife walking alone on the streets to give a feeling of safety.