How to get door codes out to guests who book during the night

Luis-and-Normajean0
Level 2
Canyon Lake, TX

How to get door codes out to guests who book during the night

Hello everyone! 

Typically when a guest books I set their scheduled message with their door code that goes out a day before they arrive. Lately, I have been having people book during the night, while I am asleep, and they are wanting to check in right away or they book for example at 11 pm and want the code to check in, since technically "check in" would of been at 3 pm. Because of this, I do not have a code set up for them and don't know if there is a way to set another scheduled message or something when this happens. I was wondering how everyone else handles these situations? How do you all send out your codes? 

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

Hi @Luis-and-Normajean0 

It appears that Airbnb does not provide a feature that allows hosts to set specific times when they only accept Instant Bookings (eg. you only wish to get instant booking before 5 PM your time).

However, there are a few strategies you can use to manage your bookings effectively:

Check-In Time Communication: Clearly communicate your preferred check-in times and policies in your listing description and house rules. This helps set expectations for guests regarding when they can check in.

Availability Settings: Use Airbnb's availability settings to set the check-in window or specific times when you are available to accept bookings. While this won't restrict bookings to Instant Bookings only, it can help manage expectations around when guests can check in. You may see this article for your reference (Set advance notice and preparation time): https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/484

Instant Book Requirements: If you use Instant Book, you can set certain requirements such as guest verification or positive reviews to mitigate last-minute bookings.

Personalized Messages: Use Airbnb's messaging system to send personalized messages to guests who book after your preferred booking hours, explaining your check-in process and when they can expect to receive further instructions.

By implementing these strategies, you can streamline your check-in process for late-night bookings and ensure a smoother experience for both yourself and your guests on Airbnb.

I hope you find this information useful!

All the best,

Upfish management

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Luis-and-Normajean0  That sounds really unpleasant. Why don't you change your settings so that this situation doesn't happen again. I can't imagine having someone book at 11:00 pm and then showing up at my property (while I'm asleep??). Why don't you allow a day between bookings? Or limit your check-in times? 

Frankly, it's the people who don't have a place to sleep until 11:00 pm and then book an AirBnB that I would really worry about having as guests. Definitely not MY target market. 

As to your original question, I don't understand the problem. Can't you generate a code via the lock app at any time and just send it? Or is the problem that you're sleeping? 

Okay, so you're asleep and a stranger lets themselves into your home?? YIKES!!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Luis-and-Normajean0,

I hope everything is well with you 😊

Have you had a chance to read the suggestions from our experienced Hosts? Have you considered modifying the check-in times for your guests?

It would also be very helpful if you could share what kind of smart lock you are using, so our Hosts who use the same one can share their opinions.

Best regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad