How to handle Airbnb approved early check ins. What message do guests see?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How to handle Airbnb approved early check ins. What message do guests see?

This is very confusing. For a while there was a feature where guests could ask for early check in and request to book came with a condition that I let them in early. I had to deny the entire request. There was no way to say - you can come, just not early. I would message the guest and verbalize that and then accept or not based on our discussion. Now I just got a reservation that just said: check in 11-1. No request, reservation is confirmed. Guest is demanding 11 am check in which is just not physically possible. Previous guest will check out at 11 and we need to clean. I am not saying I have back to back guests these days often, but today it so happened to be the case. First of all, does anyone know if the guest got any kind of pop up or message that this is not guaranteed that I can reference? This guest is pissed and demanding immediate access. Beyond that, how should I deal with this going forward next time it happens? I am sure everyone will be asking for free early check in if it is an option, why not?

22 Replies 22

@Inna22  Tell them the outgoing guests may be infected with Coronavirus (which is absolutely true). I suspect they won't be in such a big hurry to get inside. But then again, maybe they're the type think all will be fine if they just ingest some of your disinfectants.

@Anonymous I cant let them in and I wont. But they are upset because they feel they were mislead. It clearly says on the reservation page 11 am check in.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  Did you talk to airbnb and see what the reason is that a guest can check in before your stated check in time? 

@Mark116 I did not. These days it is not possible to get immediate answer from them. I assume it is the new feature where guest picks check in time

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I’m confused.  Was it a request to book or an instant book?  The way I handle any request in which there is a note with a request to book asking for something I can’t accommodate is to first respond to the guest reminding them of the actual rule, and asking if they still want to book, followed by instructions how to cancel their request “to insure you don’t get charged”.  If I don’t hear back within an hour, I accept the request, again remind them in the chat what the rule is, and noting that they can cancel within 48 hours without charge if it isn’t a good fit.  Sometimes I even email them with the same info.  I also send them a Welcome letter 3 days before they arrive, and there are about 3 places in the letter where I spell out that I can’t accommodate early check-ins or late check-outs for housekeeping reasons (I sometimes grant an exception to this if they asked nicely in advance and I can accommodate them).  My place is keycode controlled, so it’s easy to give them access at the agreed time.  

What do you mean “No request, reservation is confirmed”.  Do you have instant book?  I believe you can cancel 3 (or more, if you call Airbnb) instant bookings without penalty.

@Pat271 yes, instant book. In the past when  a guest wanted early check in, it was like you described and I took fairly similar steps. This time it was just instant booking with check in time at 11-1. My listing's check in time is unchanged.

@Inna22 Did you double-check your settings?  I know a couple of weeks ago there was a glitch people reported here - their check-in setting had been changed, and sure enough when I looked at my check-in setting, it said “Flexible”. I had to put it back to 3 PM.

@Pat271  @Inna22  I had the exact same 'spontaneous' change to my check in settings. I absolutely 100% did not change anything myself, nor did anyone else who has access to the settings.  It's quite outrageous, how these little glitches happen. I now go in regularly and review all my settings.

@Pat271 you are right! Thank you! Changing it back now

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  Terrible.  I guess all you can do is point them to  your check in time and tell them that airbnb has a glitch, because it should obviously not be possible to check in before the host's stated check in time.  

Its hard to understand why airbnb does some of these things or where they find the software people to create these unnecessary problems, over and over again.  It should be impossible that someone's itinerary would state a check in time that is before the check in time on the listing. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Just cancel the booking, @Inna22 , using not comfortable with this guest reason.  If you cannot accommodate the exception then don't.  Your listing and business is more important than any SH status.  In the past I would have suggested you contact Air BNB and have them cancel to ensure you are not penalized, but I agree that due to the turmoil of the staff layoffs you might just be wasting your time. Good luck and keep us posted.

@Linda108  If she cancels they can give her a 1 star across the board review, so I would say she's better to get them in a few hours later than they expected.

@Linda108 they are upset and I am screwed either way. I would rather keep the reservation and at least make the money. They are not asking to be cancelled. I offered luggage drop off. I have a feeling airbnb did send them a message telling them this was a request not a guarantee as they are not pushing it as much any more.

@Inna22  You'll prob. never get a 5 out of them, but maybe tomorrow send them a message that explains that airbnb has recently cut staff due to COVID and they are also continuing to tweak the site, and you believe this must be what  happened.  Reiterate that you have never changed your check-in time of XX, and that according to how the site is configured it should have been IMPOSSIBLE for them to get a check-in time that is different from the listing.

Then you can  go on to sympathize,  not apologize, that you understand how stressful and upsetting it  must have been to find out that airbnb had made such a mistake.  Blah, blah.  Now that they're in the house you hope they can finally relax and enjoy.  Depending on how many days the stay is, you could drop off a $10/15 gift and a note if you think that will make a difference in getting a better review.

You should def. contact airbnb and tell them what a mess they created for you and the guests.