Hungarian Host Asking for all details in passport and a photocopy of my passport with my photo, normal practice?

Answered!
Chris18635
Level 1
Hong Kong

Hungarian Host Asking for all details in passport and a photocopy of my passport with my photo, normal practice?

I will be staying in an AirBnb in Budapest for 5 days. The host reached out to me asking for my date of birth, passport number, and place of birth, among other personal information. J

I don't think this information is necessary, especially passport photocopy with my photo.

Anybody has such experience? Should i report this to AirBnB?

with thanks

1 Best Answer
Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Chris18635   As of 2021 it is law in Hungary for all accommodation providers to ask for these things.  I have pasted a list of what they need to ask for below.

Mandatory data collection

The data to be collected from arriving guests include:

• name, surname, place and date of birth, nationality, mother’s maiden name and surname,
  • data in the identification document, in case of third-country national the visa or residence permit number, the date and place of entry,
  • the address of the accommodation, the start and expected and actual end dates of stay.

It is quite normal across various countries in Europe.

Hope this helps.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Chris18635   As of 2021 it is law in Hungary for all accommodation providers to ask for these things.  I have pasted a list of what they need to ask for below.

Mandatory data collection

The data to be collected from arriving guests include:

• name, surname, place and date of birth, nationality, mother’s maiden name and surname,
  • data in the identification document, in case of third-country national the visa or residence permit number, the date and place of entry,
  • the address of the accommodation, the start and expected and actual end dates of stay.

It is quite normal across various countries in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Hello Ruth, Thanks for your informative reply to the question of Hungarian renters asking for passport details prior to arrival.  I have just booked to stay in an apartment for 5 nights in December.  The renter has sent me a link via email and requested that I scan a copy of passport for both myself and my wife to this link.  I'm not overly comfortable with this.  Have you heard of this before and whether it is legit and/or even safe.  Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi David, I am encoutering the same issue. Have you provided those information? Airbab customer center is not helping (only automatic replies).

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Xinwen0 @David10757 

It's always a good idea to check local regulations when travelling. 

In many countries there is a legal requirement for accommodation providers to collect photo ID from guests.

Often hosts offer self check in so will use a secure online portal to fulfil their requirement to collect guest ID.

Hi do they require a passport number for all guests? I find this is so big brother. I don't feel comfortable handing this info over on an airbnb platform. How else can this info be provided where it's at less risk to be hacked? Thanks you 

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

yes. IDing a guest is a normal practice.