Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

I can't make an inquiry (or send a request) to the host.

Barb2894
Level 2
Oakville, Canada

I can't make an inquiry (or send a request) to the host.

I want to make an offer for a house that I want to book. I stayed in that house 2 years ago. When I click on "contact host" to make an inquiry, the old reservation comes up, it doesn't give me the option of selecting dates etc. what do I do?

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Barb2894  What do you mean "make an offer?" You mean ask the host for a discount? That's not really appropriate, but regardless, you can just continue to communicate with the host by messaging on the previous message stream you had with them- you don't have to submit a new inquiry.

How’s that not appropriate? They have that option on the platform. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Barb2894 

Most hosts, especially Superhosts, work extremely hard to make guest stays Awesome.  However, experienced hosts also have a very good intuition of a guest stay and whether to re-host a guest. Maybe the host was fine with your stay, but not enough so to accept a rebook.

Just my opinion.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@M199  @Sarah977 

Is there really a way to prevent a guest from trying to book again?

There has been some debate about this and I am confused. It seems that the “would not host again” thing doesn’t stop them from sending requests or inquiries.

Some hosts have complained about being repeatedly pestered by guests that they most definitely do not want to entertain.

If there is a way to become invisible to certain people I would like to know what it is.

From time to time we encounter people on this forum who I would prefer not to hear from…

@Brian2036 report and block is the only way to avoid a guest you don’t want again. If you click would not host again, all it does is prevent them from IB-ing. Airbnb’s priority is bookings, not host preference. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Barb2894 

Maybe the listing is no longer active?

If you paste it into a message here we can try to look at it.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Barb2894 That’s just how the system works. You need to put your dates in a trip request now, or instant book if the host has it. If you have questions first, just send them in the message stream.

Susan5510
Level 1
New York, NY

Omg! Everyone in these replies are dense thinkers. I’m having the SAME issue and my host wants to send me a special offer but for some reason the inquiry/calendar > message host option doesn’t work since it’s the last and recent reservation I had. But if I try another listing of his it gives me the inquiry through the contact host button on their profile. I think the host has to leave a review for the last reservation to fully be completed on the system