Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

I hate the guests I have this weekend!!! (rant)

Answered!
Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I hate the guests I have this weekend!!! (rant)

I have two guys sharing a queen size bed in one of my guest rooms.  I'm gay, by the way, so I have no problem with guys sharing a bed, but these are two straight guys.  Guess they're cheap. 

Anyway,  all my guests have been lovely...until now.  They didn't respond to my request via the Airbnb platform about their arrival time, so I ended up messaging them using their cell phone number.  Now I can't get them back on the Airbnb messaging system, and I've missed a couple of their "requests" as I always respond instantly to anything coming from Airbnb but don't always check my personal messages. 

So the first strike against them is "bad communicators".  Soon after check-in one of them asked if he could do laundry "at night".  He said it was raining so he'd need to wash and dry his clothes after being out all day.  OK, no problem.  I offer my guests full access to my washer and dryer, but when he said, "at night" I assumed he meant 9 or 10 p.m.  At 1 a.m. I am awakened by the sound of a zipper crashing back and forth in the dryer, and a loud cell phone video being played at the table near the laundry area.  (My house rules ask for "quiet time" after 10 p.m.) Thinking of my other guests in the room nearest the kitchen, I get out of bed and go, "shhh", there are people sleeping".   

Now he is on the fourth (and last) day of his stay, and he has done laundry all four days.  My house is not a laundramat!  One day he took all  my still damp towels and sheets out of the dryer, piled them in a heap, and put his own clothes in.  When I went to use the dryer, I carefully folded his laundry, which consisted of 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of underwear and 2 t-shirts.  We have a water crisis in California!  Then one afternoon I hear someone open and closing all the cupboards in my kitchen.  Fine, I thought, I tell my guests to feel free to look for cups, dishes, silverware, sugar, etc. in my many cupboards. 

However, later that evening I walk into the kitchen and find him munching away at my food, which i keep in the highest, most inaccessible cupboard.  The nerve!  Not only is my house a laundramat, now it's a restaurant!  I didnt' say anything because I was so embarrassed for him.  And this is after I went out and bought  a large fan for his room after he messaged me that he needed one because he "sleeps hot", even though it's a chilly and wet January outside.  They are both working my last nerve.  I've never left a guest a bad review, but I so want to punish them and warn other hosts. 

Sorry, I just needed to rant here.

I can't wait for them to leave tomorrow morning.  

Top Answer
Leana5
Level 2
Croatia

That's a nightmare! 

Before I accept my guests, I normally check feedbacks. If they don't have them or if they just joined airbnb, then first what I ask is if they've read my house rules. In this way I see how long does it take to answer my questions and if the communication is prompt. The only guests I avoid are young people from the Netherlands who remined me to beasts left from leashes. If the communication is not as I want, then my gut says "Reject" and I do it.

View Top Answer in original post

91 Replies 91
Mary-Lyn-And-Clark0
Level 2
Colorado, United States

I can commiserate. We had the nicest group of 7 young people staying. They were having having a simply wonderful time on the last night of their stay on our deck and in our hot tub - too wonderful. Two or three got violently ill from overindulging, stopped up one of the bathroom sinks, hid some of the damage to the bed linens and rug in the closet, and attempted to wash some of the other linens in the washing machine without rinsing first. They could not have been more shame faced  and apologetic but what a mess !!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Things are getting a little bit too heated and personal. On the Airbnb CC, we are all here to support and help each other. I am closing this topic as I feel it has elements that are not inline with the Community Guidelines, which you can review here: Community Guidelines.

Many thanks for you patience and understanding in this matter,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines