I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

Answered!
Megan160
Level 9
Tucson, AZ

I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

I had an awful guest experience and tried to settle it with the guest personally. She stayed at a reduced rate and then needed to extend her stay. We gave her an even bigger rate discount. When she left, she left the place a mess. Dirty, greasy dishes, pots and pans. All the furniture was in dissaray, both sets of blankets/quilts had spots and stains on them, there were crumbs in all the beds on the mattress pads (which had to be hand picked off), and she ruined a set of sheets.

I took 3 days to cool off before I texted her because we really went out of our way to help this guest and she took advantage of us. I told her I was unhappy about the state of the place and asked her to pay $50 to replace the sheets. Prior to this text, she had nothing but glowing reviews and thanks for me in all her texts. She did not understand why she should have to pay for her sheets because I was a woman and the damaged sheets were a result of a "woman thing" and thus I should understand. I said I shouldn't have to pay for her "woman thing".

After much internal debate, I decided to warn other hosts and gave her an appropriate but still not brutal review, even leaving out the refusal to pay for damages and passing on her lame excuse for the mess. She then gave me a bad review, lying about my place and me. Prior to this review, I had 5 star reviews. Now people think my place is noisy and I am rude. My bookings have almost stoped dead in their tracks after her review. Plus, my 3 month pre-book for Jan-March canceled right after the review. I have contacted Airbnb twice about this to no avail. I had responded to her bad review, but not in much detail because I assumed that if I could prove it was a retaliatory review, it would be removed. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Not only will they not remove it, they won't even let me expound on my explanation to her bad review.

So frustrated! I am knee deep in the process of spending a lot of money to make my other 2 rentals Airbnb rentals and now I can't even get bookings in prime season. Airbnb penalizes us for trying to warn other hosts about bad guests.

1 Best Answer
John915
Level 4
New York, United States

@Megan160

Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do about it. Things like this happen to all of us (guests, especially newer ones have wildly different expectations) and I hate the fact that one bad review plants a seed in future guests' minds (for example, I had one who stayed for nearly a month and I left town for nearly a week - I live in the part of the home - I came back and she had left an old pizza box, empty bottles,etc....her review dinged me for cleanliness?!)

Some guests are just horrible and/or petty (and I'm sure a handful of hosts are not so great either) but the best thing to do is learn from it.

I never leave a review for a guest unless I've personally interacted with him/her. I do this because if you are the first to leave a review, your guest sees that you left one and if they felt their stay was unpleasant, they have nothing to lose by leaving you a nasty review. A host may rely on sharing their home to cover a significant portion of housing costs, extra income, etc. but a guest may book an Airbnb once or twice a year. And even if guests get not so great reviews, in many cities there are plenty of hosts who would just be happy for the income.

I've been fortunate to have not yet had many "nightmare" guests but I would learn from this experience - do not be the first to review a guest! If they feel strongly about your space (negative or positive) they will usually leave a review. If I've had a weird situation/neutral, I don't bother. If my interaction was positive, I ask them to send me private feedback as to what I can do better. If someone leaves a review, you can comment on it but if you think someone had a less than stellar experience, you as a host leaving a review only prompts a guest to leave one as well (which may be unfair, misleading, etc.)

Saw your listing and I really don't think your guest's review was that bad. If anything it was probably prompted by your interaction with her following her stay. You have 5 stars and it was overall a positive review! I have no plans to go to Tucson but I'd stay in your place! In the future, I'd just let small inconveniences like that go. Don't be a pushover but understand accidents happen and sometimes minor things occur with otherwise well-meaning guests:

-No smoking but someone opens a window thinking they can get away with it

-Someone breaks a glass

-Uses toilet and "forgets" to flush (nasty but happens)

My advice:

1.) Do not post a review first - Regardless of what you do, you get sometimes get less than 5-stars! If you've had a less than fantastic dialogue with a guest, posting a review prompts them to do the same - in your case, she knew you were upset about the sheets & was probably defensive about being asked to pay $50 for an accident - If she thought you were upset with her as a host, I am not suprised that she didn't give you a fantastic, glowing review in response to the notification that you had left her a review.  

2.) Don't sweat the small stuff

3.) Just buy a $10 set of sheets from Wal-Mart and consider it a "cost of doing business" if they are ruined at some point

View Best Answer in original post

243 Replies 243

When you have such glowing reviews as you do, @Lorna54, this idiotic review will reflect on the guest and not on you.  Your honest review is definitely a warning to other hosts, so thank you.  I think some issues are not under the Air BNB umbrella but are under the host community umbrella.  The more we can trust other hosts to be honest and post accordingly, the easier it is for other hosts.  Now, when you risk accepting a newbie, most of the time it will be a matter of educating them, but sometimes you will face what you faced.  Perhaps you can change your IB settings to require a positive recommendation and I would imagine you know what to ask in messinging to qualify a guest.  Bottom line, you are the owner of your business and if at anytime the Air BNB platform does not support you, you have other choices.  Good for you.  Thanks for sharing.

Lorna54
Level 3
Apollo Bay, Australia

thank you for your positive and enouraging feedback Linda. 

This was the family holiday home .. the size is and has been full of wonderful memories for us and others . We have had propsals , weddings, 70ths  , family reunions etc. Most of the houses down here are double story larger beach homes. I have had mostly good experiences but yes I do try to 'assess ' via messaging and have the house rules in a manual printed on the coffee table in several languages. It is probably good to know about instant book and I have since then removed my listing from that 🙂 

I used airbnb the first time with no reviews and respected the house as it were mine.. I assumed (innocently that everyone else was the same ) 

Gs0
Level 6
New York, NY

To everyone who complains about soiled linens, I have but one suggestion: mattress pad. It is the only remedy to help in some instances, with the exception of those messy incidents where the individual lies on top of both the flat and fitted sheets and comforters/quilts in a really haphazard way.

In the alternative, you can always start using dark linens as well. I will be sharing a link with you all shortly to get great Egyptian cotton linens, etc. at a great discount. I know it can be costly, especially since guests do not always have a vested interest in our homes, they do not see the value of taking care of our property. Best to you all,

GS McNair

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I am really sad reading this. It's obvious what happened... you voiced your displeasure with the guest and asked her to pay for the blood covered sheets BEFORE you BOTH left public reviews for each other. Airbnb should be able to see clearly through this guests bad review and remove it from your account. It is clearly retalitory. 

Who in their right mind thinks its OK to ruin sheets (with blood, motor oil, feces or whatever other gross thing) and not be responsible for them?! Had the host been a man, would the woman claimed the same thing... that the host should understand her "woman thing"?! 

[Content hidden]. As a married gay man, I have never had to even think about it before. But now as an airbnb host, I have to have tampax in my rental and it seems that almost every woman that stays here is on her period! 6-8 hours of a dirty tampax smoldering in the trash is all it takes to make me gag, have to open all the windows and turn on the fans for a couple hours just to get the stank out. [Content hidden] 

EDIT: I just looked at your reviews and do not see any really negative reviews. The review they left you wasn't that bad and your response was fine. I doubt that has anything to do with your slow bookings. 

*[Content hidden in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

There is no reason not to leave a negative review. But if you're concerned, wait until Day 14 to leave it.

After having all positive guests, 2 out of the last 3 guests I've had were horrible. The first guests were a family of 3. They communicated really well and I had a good feeling about them. I was helpful as far as getting to their downtown destination during a rally with the least amount of hassle. 

They thanked me by leaving trash and half-eaten food everywhere. There was food and food smears in the sink, on the counters, on the dresser on the floor. Tooth paste smears everywhere in the bathroom. Coffee spills on the counter, down the cabinets, IN THE DRAWERS and IN THE CABINETS and on the floor with zero attempt to clean the spills up. 

They got the "These people would be better off in a hotel" and a do not recommend. 

They responded to my review for them by saying in essence "I should expect a mess since I charge a cleaning fee."

My second guest just left.  She is a super-host herself, which I hoped would mean she's be a wonderful guest. Instead, she used her insider knowledge of how AirBNB works to try to circumvent AirBNB Policies and my house rules.  In other words, she was a manipulator. But I'm a snarky beyotch and can sniff out a manipulator with one nostril clogged.

She booked a month in advance.  Then, she cancelled with less than 24 hours, which as we all know means you forfeit your first night's stay. She then messaged me asking me to refund that as well, citing the AirBNB catch-phrase, "Extenuating circumstances". Her 80 year old mother who was coming with her was "deathly ill" with the flu. I offered to refund only if I could rebook the suite as I'd already declined another guest because she was already booked.  Strangely, she rebooked 2 hours later and arrived 12 hours later at 6 am. And Mom was just as fit and healthy as could be. Not a sniffle, sneeze or cough to show that she'd been "deathly ill" only 12 hours earlier. 

Upon arrival, she informed me that they would be leaving "around noon" the next day. My check out time is 10 am. Since I didn't have another guest scheduled, I was going to let it slide. But it was almost a challenge to see if I'd insist she leave at 10 am.

When she booked, she said her mom had a service dog and passively-aggressively let me know I had to take the dog per AirBNB Policy. I said, "Of course, but the dog must be leashed at all times." She specifically stated Service Dog. And when they arrived the dog was wearing his little mail order Service Dog Impersonator vest.  But no leash. Service dog kept wandering off, too. Then Mom let it slip they'd just gotten the dog from someone who went into assisted living and "so far he hasn't had any accidents in the house, but he's mostly deaf and blind".  That right there told me she was a manipulator, that she'd exploit the needs of legitimately incapacitated people to bring her PET to a No Pets location. 

Finally, my house rules clearly state, not once but TWICE that due to my allergies, there is no smoking anywhere on the property. It is also posted in the Welcome Manual.  She snuck around, hiding in the trees and bushes smoking during the day. I caught whiffs of smoke but didn't actually see her.  I can also smell it when people drive past my house who smoke so naturally I didn't want to accuse her until I saaw her.  At night, she figured the coast was clear and she lit up and smoked right under my open bedroom window. It caused me great respiratory distress and a sleepless night.  I called AirBNB because of how she had lied about other stuff so far and that with her insider knowledge about how important reviews were, I feared a retaliatory review if I were to tell her not to smoke. AirBNB instructed me to message her via AirBNB to document my reminding her about the no smoking policy anywhere. The next morning she lit up again. At that point, I told her again via message about the policy and that she really needed to leave now. It was 30 minutes past check out at this point anyways. 

Her response was I should have made it clearer about the non smoking. (roll eyes) 

Since I basically busted her and had photographic documentation of her smoking while chasing the unleashed dog to substantiate my asking her to leave, I decided to wait and see if she'd actually leave me a review. She didn't.

I left a very honest review about how she attempted to manipulate the system to get around the rules. She got 5* for cleanliness (she did a very good job of cleaning up) 3* for communication, since she did communicate, but half of it was lies, and 1* for House Rules since she violated both the No Smoking and No Pets clause.

I can play the game too; I waited until 30 minutes before the deadline to leave a review. I knew she'd be asleep by the time the review posted and she wouldn't see it until it was too late to post a reply. 

@Stephanie365 Fortunately, I never have 'guest battles' because my particular arrangement, but this battle with this guest I would have relished flattening and enjoyed reading how you nailed her on the very eve of running out of time. 2/3 of my worst guests have been Airbnb hosts.

Why is it that hosts are the worst guests? Surely, they're the ones that understand how important these reviews are! I had a host message me insisting that I measure the bedroom in my guest apartment. Brow raised, I did and sent her the dimensions - it's a good-sized room with a queen bed. She paid for three people and arrived with four, and then told me her daughter had an apartment in town and would not be staying. Her daughter did stay - my son had a seizure and I was up with him all night, so it was quite apparent. The next morning, in an effort to cut me off from asking for payment for the fourth guest, she told me that she'd had a lumpy pillow that ruined her sleep and said she'd have to review me poorly for it. I've never had anything less than 5 stars for everything. I politely asked her which of the NINE BRAND NEW PILLOWS in the apartment was the "lumpy one," and she left without answering. She actually held me hostage for the guest fee with the lie about a lumpy pillow? How could hosts BE this way when they know what we go through? She left a review saying the bedroom was "disappointingly tiny" (remember that she KNEW the square footage?) and that I only had a tiny fan for the apartment, apparently ignoring the central air conditioning. She told me that she believed in "firm but fair" reviews. I've considered turning off instant booking so I can head off hosts attempting to book my place.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

I continually am surprised that hosts allow guests to book WITHOUT profile pics atleast. It is a requirement and I would think that even for those doing IB - I wouldn't accept such and if that can't happen neither can a booking. I have written to potential guests that a profile pic is mandatory by Airbnb -  just those words and it worked. 

There is so much fear out there in the review system it is rather sad to read. Sure we all want great reviews but there will always be crazies and nuts and we actually can't totally control the odds. However, what we can control is HOW we respond to them and the trail of what they leave behind and a result of our response....... 

The defensive replys and remarks that many hosts leave draw much more attention to them as hosts and show great vulnerabilities and how personally fragile a host is - I am thinking the GUESTS don't actually give a rip about Hosts when they trash or mess up a place - they just want to play the system, not have to pay damages AND when attacked about the wake they left behind they get extreme. Its actually bizarre and like a carnivel to watch. 

I AM not defending the guests at all - I am just working myself to understand the best way to host and not get stung and how to navigate the platform and I'm convinced KNOWLEDGE is our best defense. It is a continual learning of the platform, people and our roles to be smart, be fair and protect our hearts! happy hosting, Clara

I am on site, I would not use AirBnB if I was not as I would want to know who I am dealing with and have a real security deposit.

Photo does not bother me personally, my favourite storry was somebody who had posted a clear head shot, forget the name, Johnny or something.

For some reason I thought it would be a 6ft guy, turned out to be a 5ft girl. Went and looked again at the photo and it was her with the benefit of hindsight so nothing to complain about anyway.

So if I can not even tell gender then wonder what use it is.

As an aside I have only used ABB once as a Guest but have travelled a fair bit, stayed in all sorts of listings and never sent them my photo.

David
Ricky63
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

In my experience reviews are always blind so I would agree it can not be retaliatory, and you can always request a review then deal with the damages after you have been notiefied that they have written a review, that way you get a fair review and one not influced by the dameges process.

I found out after I stopped hosting and had time to look at my last guest's profile that guests are permitted to write a response to our reviews so for my one negative 4 star review about hair dye on stained sheets, the guest responded by LYING about me.   I had no idea and had proceeded for months to be blissfully ignorant.  Maybe incoming guests had read it and thought I was bending over backwards in response but I had no idea.   But I left five stars for everyone and I wonder now if they were all waiting for me to write something truthful and negative about them. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I feel that many, many hosts leaving glowing reviews that are not really warranted. 

I have no other explaination to the fact that we have hosted several groups who had wonderful reviews, oh they left the house immaculate, etc., who left our house disorganized and dirty.  It seems unlikely they would choose to leave only our house a mess---fail to take out trash and recycling as directed, fail to follow basic rules, break or stain items---it seems more likely that other hosts praised them when they didn't deserve praise.  It's one thing to leave a vague neutral to positive review, quite another to gush about the guests fabulousness and how you recommend them, when it seems obvious they are borderline.

I am against quibbling because ultimately, they paid for their stay.  If this was a hotel, that's all you can really ask of a guest and if they didnt do any damage that required a claim on the deposit then they get five stars EVEN THOUGH they may have been demanding, required extra effort, whatever.

I don't often (actually hardly ever) have bad guests, but agreed the guests PAY for their stay. However, unlike a hotel, for hosts living in the same place they offer as STR, we also offer private, personalized hosting services. As a host, I don't sign up for sneaky, lying, manipulative ppl with their own agenda to steal, destroy or hurt my home or other guests. Some ppl do behave that way. I think it's important to carefully, truthfully and clearly communicate the facts to other hosts. I do read reviews and consider guests with higher reviews more favorably. The Cleaning fee is NOT a deposit for damages. It's simply a cleaning fee for the cleaners. IMHO, I think maybe wise to wait at least 24-48 hours as a host to leave a negative review

My new policy is to avoid leaving a bad review by.... omission of praise or to not leave one at all. I expect some breakage and an occasional dirty guest. I expect a certain amount of linens will need replacing each year. Actually, it is quite predictable after a few years with a particular property. All guest with bad reviews has to do is use another name on the next reservation, someone else in their group. That makes the guest reviews pretty useless to me. 

Also, with an instant book, you are in a precarious position once they are booked, then you search their reviews. Bad reviews already booked are tricky to deal with. Canceled booking can kill your stats and placement in the search.  I liked it better when I got inquiries, called the person to talk about what they were looking for, then suggesting my place may not be the right one.

I understand Fair Housing Laws as I am a Realtor too, but owners should be able to talk to potential guests to see if the venue is appropriate to the guest's plans for their travel event. For me, I want to know what level of party activity guest are planning. My neighbors deserve respect too. My complex has many permanent residents.