ICON default homepage listings

James4358
Level 1
Antalya, Türkiye

ICON default homepage listings

Is it just me or does anyone else object to the default homepage being the ICONS page giving priority to the rich and famous over actual Airbnb listings? Every time I visit the Airbnb site the first image I see is Dojacat in my face it's deeply annoying and shows the values of Airbnb prioritising celebrity over the hard work and dedication of hosts who are the very foundation of the business. We work extremely hard to maintain our excellent standards while the celebrities do nothing themselves yet have first-page priority.  I have voiced my concerns to Airbnb of course their response was patronising and dismissive as is the standard these days. 

4 Replies 4
Vincenzo89
Level 2
Mazara del Vallo, Italy

I believe Icons are good. Also even before that, nobody would've found the majority of Airbnb listings by simply opening the home page.

In addition to that, having celebrities on the homepage can attract new Airbnb customers, which might eventually increase the brand awareness, and the number of guests that will use Airbnb.

That, by consequence, can impact the number of bookings hosts get.

Thus, even though you personally find it annoying, and you absolutely have the right to voice your concerns to Airbnb, they can reply to you that they prefer it that way.

In the end, nobody is obliged to host on Airbnb.

If they had to go after the concern of over 5 million hosts and act accordingly, it would be a mess.

You seem to support the Icons page passionately which of course is your prerogative.

May I draw your attention to the fact that there are currently a total of 5 active Icon listings followed by 15 expired listings on the front page of the Airbnb website.

Conversely, the total number of active accommodation listings on Airbnb is approximately 7.7 million worldwide.

My point is, that the homepage of a global platform designed predominantly for accommodation is giving priority to only 5 current listings which are collaborations with "artists" wealthy celebrities who have no need of an income only increased fame and fortune. 

Celebrities have nothing to do with accommodation searches, those requiring accommodation on Airbnb will not be influenced in any way by celebrity presence and since 2008 when Airbnb was created the platform has gained global status because of the hard work of the hosts. Icons were first listed on 1 May 2024 described as "Extraordinary experiences from the world's greatest icons" giving precedence to this extreme minority over the 5 million hosts worldwide who are the cornerstone of Airbnb.

As a hardworking superhost, I deeply object and my opinion will be heard by Airbnb, I do not need to be told by anyone I have a right to do so and that refers to yourself.

Airbnb must listen to its 5 million hosts as we are Airbnb without the 5 million hosts the platform would not exist, suggesting that my opinion is irrelevant as you inferred is an insult and I won't be insulted.

Airbnb also should respond to their hosts in a manner which is not dismissive as is often the complaint and your suggestion if I don't like it then leave which is essentially what you said is not how you address someone you do not know, be advised others will not take to your tone as calmly as I have.

I strongly suggest you don’t reply to anyone in such a demeaning manner ever again and don’t respond to me at all. 

Correct your manners. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@James4358 Oh dear oh dear - If you post here then I am afraid you will get responses. You may not agree with the responses but then to say they are demeaning and demand that @Vincenzo89  never responds to you again is not the way to win friends and influence people.

I shall not trouble myself with repeating the last line of your response.

I have every right to respond to someone who is disrespectful condescending arrogant and essentially told me to shut up and go away. Your response is to the wrong contributing party, thanks so much and have a good day!