In praise of my "Also a Host" guests

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

In praise of my "Also a Host" guests

I only seem to read negative experiences on the forum re hosting guests who are hosts themselves, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I recently hosted 4 guests in a row who were also hosts, which was a strange thing, as they are the first ones I've had in 3 years of hosting. I was a bit nervous, as I've read how much other hosts have said they dread these bookings.

All of them were lovely guests- no complaining, no unsolicited advice, expressed lots of appreciation, left their space clean and tidy, and left nice, 5* reviews.

Perhaps it helped that all were home-share hosts like me, but whatever the reason, I now will no longer worry when I see a booking request from another host.

31 Replies 31
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Sarah977  I've only had one experience so far with a fellow host,  but it was very positive. She and her group were our very first guests. She was encouraging and gracious and helped boost our confidence for going forward. 👍

@Colleen253  same!   My first guest  was a host (only 4 guests ago) and was a real sweety.   Kind, encouraging, left the house spotless.   I felt so lucky to have her as my first guest.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

Great to hear, @Sarah977 ! I'd be nervous about hosting other hosts, too, after reading the forums. Pleased to hear that these stays went well!

Just to add: we recently booked a stay, and I felt compelled to let the host know in my initial message that we aren't "those" hosts, and not to be apprehensive about hosting us 🙂

@Jennifer1421  I've not yet travelled as an Airbnb guest, but I'd be inclined to reassure my host exactly the same.

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

@Sarah977 I haven't hosted very many hosts, but I've always had positive experiences when I have. Hoping I can find more time to be a guest more often in 2020!

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Sarah977  That's great to hear. I've hosted about 6 other hosts last year and they were all great with no issues! 🐵

@Sarah977  last year we hosted four hosts.  Two of them marked us down on stars.  We hosted many regular guests, every one of whom gave us five stars for everything, apart from one first timer.

We'd rather have regular customers than hosts after that.

But a booking is a booking. We are doing this to make ends meet. You cant bank stars.

We had bookings last year from guests who didn't leave a review at all, but they must have been happy because they have booked again for this year, and it will be lovely to welcome them again.

Maybe if people don't leave a review we should get a default 5Star  for "all as expected"

Jennifer1774
Level 5
Sacramento, CA

We’ve hosted several hosts. All except one was wonderful. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have hosted about 10 sets of hosts. All have been lovely and given me five star reviews.

I think hosting a host is likely hosting any other sort of guest. The vast majority are lovely. It's only the minority who are problem guests or nit pick needlessly.

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

Last month, I hosted a former Superhost who left me a lengthy 5-Star review. But I have hosted guests who have more 5 star reviews as guests than me as a host, those are the ones I’m most intimidated about because they’re more experienced. However, I have had great success so far.

Julia2540
Level 3
Munich, DE

We had 4 hosts to visit. One of them was super nice and even invited us to his home.

One guest was really bad. She used my private items like razor and brush from our closet. That was disgusting. I also wrote to her in the review that such behavior is insignificant for someone who is a host himself.
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 My theory re hosts as guests may be that it depends what type of place you host..... Maybe hosts of basic, ordinary home shares are not as fussy or critical as hosts of up market, entire place listings? Might a host of a luxury condo turn his/her nose up at an ordinary private room, thinking "Not as good as mine?" Mind you, Sarah977, I reckon the sort of person who travels solo to Mexico & stays in your out of the way spot is likely to be a bit of a bohemian adventurer, so positively looking to experience your rustic charm, rather than wanting the Hilton at hostel prices....?

@Helen350  Yes, you've pretty well captured the demographic of my guests 🙂  And I did mention that the fact that I got really great host/guests might be because they were also home share hosts. Seems like a lot of these "hosts make terrible guests" posts are entire house listings- it's not so much that those guests are staying in a private room, but that they are entire home hosts, and are comparing other entire home listings to theirs. Maybe.