Include an overdose elixir in the first aid kit?

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

Include an overdose elixir in the first aid kit?

I have never seen this brought up on the forum so I believe it is a bit of a taboo subject but here we go. Over the years the number of overdoses and deaths from opioids has been increasing in our country. It is argued that it is an epidemic itself and has only been increasing throughout the pandemic. I’ve often thought it would be a very good idea to have on hand an overdose kit at my properties in case the need ever arises for a guest. Hopefully an overdose would never happen but it could save the life of someone if it did. The only problem is the stigma attached and I think it would be very off putting for some guests to see. Overdose kits are supplied free here if you choose to pick one up so it would not cost anything! Does anyone have a kit like this available in their Airbnb? Where do you keep it, how do you present it and how do you avoid a negative connotation with your listing for providing one? Tell me why it is a good or bad idea! Please no rude comments! I’ve hosted many stays, enough to know you cannot always vet your guests 100% and guests do not introduce themselves as having an opioid addiction. 

33 Replies 33

Helen@744 Andrew you say 'patients ' well I have guests in my Airbnb . One thing I do know about addicts is they do not travel away from the source of their therapeutics so if someone has so many overdoses that they personally are considering going in for resucitation kits then they are either living near a dealer or with drug addicts. I would have a look around and mention it to the police or suggest to your friend that chronic  pain management  requires hospitalization . We are nothing more than people providing short term accomodation . I would not presume to interfere in any such way when it is not an "amenity"the absurdity continues. We all live in dread of a death in our accommodation from any reason but it is a small fear and  not forseeable.There are other reasons for deaths

Another thing Andrew that you fail to mention in all this carry on about overdoses and opioid addiction is cancer patients. Possibly some consideration of these persons may have relevancy. They are not purchasing drugs from street dealers either but neither are they generally overdosing in Airbnbs requiring resucitation . this discussion seems to me to apply primarily to those who use drugs which are unregulated and illegal. No one goes on about how wide spread cancer patients are as an excuse for resucitation kits . this discussion veers into an online chat about drugs H

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Katrina79 Great topic and a "can" of suggestions voiced.

If our government offered a free kit I would leave it near the first aid kit. No mention No question asked as it is free and issued by the government.

The strongest item in our first aid kit is Betadine to put on a wound or cut. and a list of the closest Drs and Chemist is in our information folder along with Emergency phone numbers.

The added topic of CPR is also great, I have a copy of what to do for CPR in our emergency folder that was part of our registration for Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) in NSW his year.

Now I am thinking maybe it should be on the wall but I don't like seeing a lot of signs around as I try to be a minimalist. Most people have some practice of this CPR training through schools and workplace as many jobs ask for a first aid cerificate. Great topics again.

Rachel2573
Level 2
San Diego, CA

As both a host and a guest, I believe this crisis is real and my biggest fear is left over residue that can affect next guests. There was an incident in Florida where a toddler came in contact with fentanyl residue left behind by the previous guests and died. I actually have some in my first aid kit for traveling and forgot it at home. To say I’m nervous every time my toddler touches a surface, is an understatement. But having it for guests almost seems like it’s welcoming such use. It’s a conundrum. I don’t know the answer, but I love your thoughtfulness.