Inexistent damage claim from host

Alessandra852
Level 1
Riohacha, CO

Inexistent damage claim from host

Dear all, I spent one week in Copenhagen and one day and half upon my return home,  a claim was filed by my host, who alleges that his bedroom floor has been “significantly damaged” while I was staying there. This is completely false and outrageous. The host claims, with no details on the damage, that remedying the issue requires fixing the entire floor and has a cost of 1216.89 euros. I am shocked and surprised by the host’s false and abusive claim and I would like to contest the host’s claim in full, rejecting the need to pay any additional fees whatsoever for the following reasons. To which address should I send the e-mail? 

Thanks, Alessandra

2 Replies 2

@Alessandra852 An email shouldn't be necessary. If the host followed the procedure for requesting payment for damage, it will ha e come through Airbnb resolution center, with a link you need to follow directly in order to respond. Many people have reported that this feature doesn't work on the mobile app, so if necessary log into your Airbnb account on a desktop computer.

If you decline the claim, a case manager from Airbnb will get involved. Considering the high amount, the host will have to back his claim up with proof including timestamped photos and receipts. If this is a reputable host with many positive reviews, it would be unusual for them to make a false claim - so I wonder if there is a gap in the time line between your departure and the host's inspection when something like a water leak might have occurred. If you're certain that you left the property in the same state that you found it, it would be helpful to keep your communication peaceful and try to establish the relevant facts. 

Many thanks Andrew for your kind support. Yes indeed we left the apartment impeccable as we do since we use Airbnb (2013). And yes,  the host has many positive reviews but this does not necessarily mean that his claim is founded. I am worried this could be the argument also with Airbnb and would be an unacceptable abuse.