Is Airbnb discreetely removing negative reviews of guests?

Andrew3154
Level 2
New York, NY

Is Airbnb discreetely removing negative reviews of guests?

I had a terrible experience with a guest and left them a negative one star review as a warning future hosts. I checked on the review and found that it was posted, then disappeared from their profile. I asked Airbnb and they said "refresh your browser and you'll see it", they had in fact reposted it but now a week later it's not there... nor was another negative review from another host in my area. (Neither of these reviews were in violation of any Airbnb policy). This problematic guest now has a perfect 5 star rating and is certain to cause trouble for other hosts.
It seems that Airbnb removed the review to appease the guest and to make more transactions for themselves... 
What's going on?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did Airbnb say when you called them back about this? They normally only remove reviews that break their T&C s @Andrew3154 

Thanks Helen3. That's what I understood as well. Both times they reinstated the review after I contacted  them.
Here's the response:
"Apparently, we don't see any reason why the review has been removed. However, we do appreciate that you have reached out to us in order for it to be reinstated, so thank you so much and I do apologize for the inconvenience." Seems fishy... has anyone else had a similar experience? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Andrew3154 I have only had cause to leave 2 negative reviews. 1 is still there. The other is gone but so is the account of the person it was left for - no idea why!