Is This a Scam?

Answered!
Julie5701
Level 1
Cincinnati, OH

Is This a Scam?

My daughter and some friends are wanting to rent this listing.  I don’t trust it and think it might be a scam.  Only 4 reviews and not very detailed.  Host is simply “South” and he/she mentions whatsapp.  Thoughts from this community?

**[Identifiable listing  information/image removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner due to privacy concerns]

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julie5701 It looks fine in itself BUT be warned 'South' has 19 listings and 1576 reviews. As such she has less skin in the game than a host like us. Also each listing has very few reviews which further suggests she may cancel and re-list them when she gets bad reviews.

Just click on her profile and then read the reviews for yourself as I only scanned them.

In summary I think the place will be real but may not be of the best standard.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julie5701 It looks fine in itself BUT be warned 'South' has 19 listings and 1576 reviews. As such she has less skin in the game than a host like us. Also each listing has very few reviews which further suggests she may cancel and re-list them when she gets bad reviews.

Just click on her profile and then read the reviews for yourself as I only scanned them.

In summary I think the place will be real but may not be of the best standard.

Thank you very much for responding.  I appreciate your expertise.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I wouldn't book through a large scale management company with over 1500 listings as support they often offer when there is an issue is often limited - for example they only keep office hours for support. 

As @Mike-And-Jane0  says their profile appears to show few live listings yes their host profile shows 1500 which often a sign they have deleted listings with low reviews.

Thank you very much.