Is digital photo/face id required for all reservations?

Answered!
Steven1588
Level 2
Frisco, TX

Is digital photo/face id required for all reservations?

I do not want to share my id or face in digital form. 

1 Best Answer
Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Steven1588!

It is indeed a requirement to verify your identity and Airbnb may also ask for a photo of your government ID and a selfie. You can find all the info about why they ask for this and how your data is managed here >> Verifying your identity

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

you shall provide if you are asked unless you have felony charges…..

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Steven1588!

It is indeed a requirement to verify your identity and Airbnb may also ask for a photo of your government ID and a selfie. You can find all the info about why they ask for this and how your data is managed here >> Verifying your identity

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for the reply Breanna. However, with widespread data breaches and government overreach (which I believe is unconstitutional), I do not wish to increase the risk footprint of my personal data. So I will avoid any service such as this that mandates sharing my photo ID or facial recognition.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Steven1588 As a host it is reassuring that Airbnb is demanding ID verification from our guests. Of course if you don't want to supply this then you will not be one of these guests.

Obviously

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's fine you can not provide a photo of yourself @Steven1588 

But you will find many hosts like myself won't accept your booking.

I'm sure you appreciate as hosts we want to make sure the person who books is the one that actually turns up to stay. 

Hi Helen,

Once information about a person's identity is transmitted, there are two main problems I perceive: (1) hackers can steal your data and commit fraud, for which you can face difficult financial and reputational harm, and (2) the government can leverage this data to control you. ** Obviously, I know that my data is already spread out everywhere, but nonetheless, I want to reverse that as much as I can. I'm sure that **some types have no problem with limiting the agency of other people, but I certainly do. As AirBnB seems to be in the left camp also, their actions and policies are consistent. I'll be closing my account and demanding that they delete my data. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

**Some content hidden due to its unverifiable or misleading nature. 
[Generalizing Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]