Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Is there a cat in my not-pet-friendly house??

Answered!
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Is there a cat in my not-pet-friendly house??

HELP! Need your thoughts please.....

Here's the situation: 

Got a reservation request about 7 weeks ago. It seemed to be from an enthusiastic young man who wanted to come to my area for a weekend getaway with his girlfriend to explore the area. I approved it. His initial correspondence was pleasant and enthusiastic. He is brand new to AirBnB. 

The day of his reservations- Friday, December 20th, he messages me in the early morning hours to ask if they can bring their "well behaved kitty." I am not listed as pet friendly, and I say no, with an excuse about future guests and allergies. They show up Friday night. I let them in and spend a minute or two explaining the heat, etc. and then leave them alone.

The next day, Saturday, I notice that all of the curtains are drawn as tight as can be. My spidey sense is on alert. You don't come to the country and make a cabin as dark as possible for no apparent reason. I would never enter the cabin without guest permission during a stay, so I haven't....but they did go out yesterday and I made my best attempt to peer in the cabin. I cannot see a thing. Those curtains remain pulled as tightly as possible. So of course I'm thinking that they brought the cat. What are your thoughts and what can I do?

I Obviously can't outright accuse them...but I'm highly suspicious. I am debating going in if they go out today. If I found a cat I would ask them to leave immediately. 

HELP!!

Top Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kia272 

Something similar just happened to @David-and-Annie0 here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guests-violated-our-no-pets-policy/m-p/1187691

Annie's review of the guest, after the fact, is spot on and she handled the situation very well, in my opinion.

It is best not to react until you have evidence. You peering through the windows or entering the space unannounced could cause a lot more harm to the future of your listing if the guest gets Airbnb involved.   

View Top Answer in original post

61 Replies 61

@Ann783  Threads on internet forums often go off on tangents and it often ends up being interesting. I don't see it as derailing as much as an organic process. This isn't a court of law where people are required to answer only the question asked.

And I know many of us are in your camp- love pets, have them ourselves, but don't allow them in our rentals. It's like lots of things- I use candles sometimes myself, but am careful to do it safely and don't drip wax all over. But I don't trust guests to be that careful.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Kia272 

I respect "spidey senses". As hosts, we must protect our house and business.

Many people draw their curtains. All people who are hiding something draw their curtains.

The question you must answer is "If they have a cat, will the damage and disrepect be great?"

How long are they there? As it's Xmas, are you getting a premium?  Are the guests good elsewise? Has the damage already be done?

If they have a cat....What would I do?

If you are serious about kicking them out if they have a cat, then discretely open their door and look for the cat when they are gone. Don't enter their room, but just look from the door.

However, this is risky. Guest may complain to Airbnb and get refunded.