Answered!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Is there a need for a checkout guide?

Check out image.jpg

Hello everyone,

Over the years I have stayed in quite a few Airbnb as guest and along the way I have noticed that different hosts have varying styles of how they would like their guests to checkout. There are some important pieces of information which are needed, such as where they should  leave the key once they leave.

I wonder do you have a specific process that helps you make it as simple and friendly as possible for you and your guests?

Do you like to personally say goodbye to your guests to ensure that everything has been the way that they like it? Do you provide useful information on what to do with the key or what to do with the linen perhaps?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1 Best Answer
T28
Level 2
Savage, MD

Hands down, a checklist is worth having.  It sets expectations and helps me lean toward giving the guest a favorable review.  I've tweaked mine over the years and I have come up with a pretty simple process.  Of course I still get the occasional guest that feels like they paid a cleaning fee and just won't do anything.

I have 2 units and my lists are posted on the fridges.  The last line on the checklist asks the guest to leave a review of their stay on the Airbnb site.

Check-out ChecklistCheck-out Checklist

View Best Answer in original post

83 Replies 83
Penelope0
Level 5
Englewood, FL

I have a "when you leave check list" that is part of my house rules....a short summary of steps to take when leaving. It also includes a reminder to check for personal belongings, wishes for a safe trip and a Thank You for staying.... also ask for suggestions to improve my place.

Denise693
Level 1
Tampa, FL

Hi! I just ask for the to lock the door and to place the keys back in the lock box of one unit and to look the door of my other unit. 

I also request them to sign out of the guest book versus signing in so they can leave their favorite part of the trip or suggestions to future guests. 🙂 

I do send them a note the morning they check out thanking them again for booking with me and inquiring if they have any suggestions on how to make future guests stays better.  

Best regards,

Denise 

T28
Level 2
Savage, MD

Hands down, a checklist is worth having.  It sets expectations and helps me lean toward giving the guest a favorable review.  I've tweaked mine over the years and I have come up with a pretty simple process.  Of course I still get the occasional guest that feels like they paid a cleaning fee and just won't do anything.

I have 2 units and my lists are posted on the fridges.  The last line on the checklist asks the guest to leave a review of their stay on the Airbnb site.

Check-out ChecklistCheck-out Checklist

Petra97
Level 2
United States

I have a short task list that I e-write to each guests as well as have a printed copy in the House Manual.

As I am not local to my Airbnb, I let them leave solo, however, I communitcate with them the night before and usually send a note after checkout too. I can also see on the RING doorbell to see when they arrive/leave.

Upon check out for each guest/group, I have them do a short task list of 5 things including: stripping the bed(s), bringing dirty laundry to the washer/dryer area, taking out the recycling/trash and turning off all the lights. Once in a while (1 out of 10) guests complains as they have not done anything for checkout in the past other than close the door.

I love this sharing community and part of it is taking care of each other's homes 🙂 and these conversations are so helpful. Thank you!

With Gratitude & Joy ~ Petra

Nicky89
Level 2
England, GB

I am 4500 miles away from my property so I rely on my cleaning lady for feedback which so far hasn't been brilliant. Our very first guests smoked in the apartment (including drugs) and she thought air freshener would get rid of the smell and it was only when the next guest complained I found out theyd left a right mess behind, broken things and even left a suitcase (which I am binning since it may have been used to carry drugs).

For checkout I have a short list in the onsite handbook and I also send an email copy. So far most have followed it, although my last guests left the safe shut so the new guests were unable to open it and set their own code.

I don't ask guests to do anything much except ensure all is locked up and the aircon turned off, plus keys replaced in lockbox

Sheron5
Level 2
Georgetown, TX

In the digital welcome book I send all guests at booking, I go over checkout procedures - no housekeeping required, leave the door unlocked for the housekeeper who will be arriving by 11:15 (gentle reminder of the 11 am checkout time), and leave the key in the stove.  I tell them to enjoy their last morning with us rather than doing chores.

Lisa1722
Level 2
Claremont, CA

My check out instructions are very similar to those I've read on this thread; wash used dishes: place used towels in hamper, don't strip bed, etc. Also, I suggest that guests to make sure that they have packed all of their belongings because anything left in my unit will be discarded or donated after 24 hours. I have had guests who forgot their valuables so I had to ship it to them, which was an incovience to my guests and myself.

I am always at my home to greet guests when they arrive, but I'm not always up early in the morning. So, if they are leaving early, I bid them farewell the night before, and remind them not to leave any personal belongings, and please leave the key on the desk. With several other people coming and going in the house I don't worry about the front door being unlocked for an hour or two until I get up to secure it. 

Sandra1294
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

i MESSAGE MY GUESTS A DAY BEFORE AND REMIND THEM WHAT TIME CHECKOUT IS.  I ALSO ASK THEM NOT TO MAKE THE BEDS MAKE SURE ALL TOWELS ARE ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR AND GENERAL TIDY UP RULES.  i WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY GOODBYE TO THEM SO I ASK THEM TO KNOW ON MY FRONT DOOR WITH THE KEY AND CHECK IF EVERYTHING WAS OKAY.  I ALSO MESSAGE THEM DURING THEIR STAY IF THE NEED ANYTHING.  IF THEY ARE STAYING FOR A WEEK I OFFER TO DO SOME LAUNDRY FOR THEM.  IT IS NO BIG DEAL FOR MY.  I LIVE DOWNSTAIRS ANYWAYS.  IN VANCOUVER CANADA WE HAVE TO LIVE IN OUR HOUSE TO LEGALLY HAVE AIRBNB.