Is this Bait and Switch from NYC hotel listing on AirBNB?

Rajesh132
Level 1
College Station, TX

Is this Bait and Switch from NYC hotel listing on AirBNB?

I booked a hotel room on AirBNB and prepaid. The hotel canceled the reservation a month in advance of my stay and offered to give me a new reservation at a higher price.

They said they have no record of my AirBNB reservation although I have my confirmation number, confirmation email and AirBNP host message of reservation confirmation.

Is this a bait and switch?

Are hotels listing their rooms on AirBNB simply to cancel the bookings to offer the same room at a higher rate?

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you make the booking with the hotel or a third party host @Rajesh132 

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

I would contact your credit card company and make sure you received a full refund.

Be careful.

If you're ever thinking of visiting Cape Cod instead 🙂  Please book my home!  I treat my Guests with care & respect.  Have a safe & enjoyable summer!

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Rajesh132 what did Airbnb say about your reservation? If the host is behaving like this then they need removing from the platform.

Elena4354
Level 6
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Rajesh132,

First of all you have to know that according the Host cancellation policy in case if a Host cancels a confirmed reservation, the Airbnb will impose the cancellation fee. The fee is based on the reservation amount and when the reservation is canceled.

In addition to a cancellation fee there are other consequences, such as preventing the Host from accepting another reservation for the Listing on the affected dates by blocking the Listing’s calendar. 

Hosts who cancel confirmed bookings without a valid reason can experience other consequences, as explained in the Terms of Service and ground rules for Hosts. For example, Hosts may have their Listing or account suspended or removed, and may lose their Superhost status.

Also in a situation like yours, you need to Report this listing and Report the host's profile.

You can report a listing by clicking on the "Report Listing" flag (under the price calculation on the listing page).
And open the host's profile (by clicking on the host's photo) and click Report this profile.

It is unacceptable situation and Airbnb shoud be informed about it. 

Kind regards. 

Elena.