Just became one of the statistic of horrible guest

Answered!
Ramy47
Level 2
SF, CA

Just became one of the statistic of horrible guest

Just had our first horrible guest in 18month since we started hosting. The guest had no complaints through the stay, left the place in a extremely bad shape with ton of damage, and left 2 star review saying the place is dirty and damaged , the review was before we filed the claim for damage which he refuse to cover then retaliated with a request for refund claiming inaccurate listing and unit not clean.  An extremely stressful day for us and we are now part of the statistic that unfortunately is plaguing our community. Stay safe out there. 

1 Best Answer

Great news and great support from Airbnb help , the bad review was deemed inaccurate and irrelevant and it was removed.  Video/photo of before and after helps drastically with the resolution and Airbnb was very supportive and understanding .

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Hi @Ramy47 

Sorry you had to go through this. I just had a similar episode this weekend.  

I just checked out the review your guest left.  His review only mentions of adjacent wall and sounds of kids coming through. Doesn't mention anything about cleanliness, if he marked you down on that the future guests would not see the individual rating he left. Why do you call attention to it in your response? Why not just address what he said and maybe add that he violated house rules by bringing unregistered guests. 

hi @Nur785

I did check in with guest to make sure he is the one using the listing and always get my kids are there I’ll be there later and he actually never did. I filed compliant with Airbnb about the issue of guest, also  have video and photo of pre vs post booking , we do one before each guests , but the review is there no clue what he means nor it has any merits and unlikely to be removed and the guest became hostile once the  damage claim was filed. I just want to put it out for other hosts to be aware of that guest.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Ramy47 ,

Did you hear back from Airbnb Support?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Still wating for the

investigation from Airbnb side to be concluded 

Great news and great support from Airbnb help , the bad review was deemed inaccurate and irrelevant and it was removed.  Video/photo of before and after helps drastically with the resolution and Airbnb was very supportive and understanding .

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Ramy47 That's great news indeed, I'm glad it got resolved in the end and thank you for updating us! Providing facts, like your before and after pictures, can help a lot to support your case. 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Dustin222
Level 2
Grand Junction, CO

• Reviews may not be provided or withheld in exchange for something of value—like a discount, refund, reciprocal review, or promise not to take negative action against the reviewer. They also may not be used as an attempt to mislead or deceive Airbnb or another person. For example, guests should not write biased or inauthentic reviews as a form of retaliation against a Host who enforces a policy or rule.

This is a direct violation of airbnb's review policy so you will need present the facts accordingly but per their policy and you will probably have to quote their policy as above the review needs taken down especially if you have a pre check-in video . 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Ramy47 you did not say how long this guest stayed for . If a guest stays more than three or four days then always institute a 'weekly clean '.this way you can change out linens and keep the house up to a certain standard.also make sure that all products are available to the guest including vacumn , dishwashing gear , tea towels etcetera  to maintain the house in a normal way ,plus all bin bags inside and out and if necessary notices about bin day ..If the guest had more trash than was normal it indicates a party generally... H

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with a guest. It can be very stressful to deal with such situations, especially when they result in damage and unfair reviews. Remember to document the condition of your property before and after guests' stays, and provide clear and accurate listings to set proper expectations. If necessary, engage with the Airbnb or hosting platform's customer support to address the issue and file a claim for damages. It's important to stay resilient and not let one bad experience overshadow the positive experiences you've had as a host. Take care and stay safe.    

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]**

Hi Ramy,

Hope so you're doing fine, it can be very disheartening when a guest causes damage to your property and leaves a negative review. It's important to document the damage and communicate with the guest to try to resolve the issue. If the guest refuses to cover the damages and retaliates with false claims, you may need to involve the platform's resolution center or support team to mediate the situation. Remember to stay calm and professional throughout the process. Unfortunately, incidents like these can occur in the hosting community, but it's essential to prioritize safety and take appropriate measures to protect your property and reputation.

Hope so this will work for you!

Regards,

Bryce June

@BBCor0 I have had two similar experiences with guests coming to my area for work (mainly construction). Like your place, I had to block dates in order to clean and replace broken furniture. The second time, the guest who booked did not even show up. He simply booked for his laborers and he book for 8 and it was maybe 12 people staying in the property. For this one we had to involve local authorities. Again, we lost money because we had to block days for cleaning and delivery of new furniture. I am grateful that there has only been the two incidents. Airbnb assisted in our reimbursement.