KOKUA LĀHAINĀ MAUI FIRE VICTIMS

Answered!
Mandy439
Level 2
Mākaha, HI

KOKUA LĀHAINĀ MAUI FIRE VICTIMS

Aloha everyone,

I hope this message finds you and your ohana safe and well.  I am starting this conversation in hopes to connect with other hosts on Maui and in Hawai’i who have places available for the families affected by the devastating fires on Maui.  I know many hosts who rely on the income from this platform to survive, but I urge you to look within yourself and find a way to make your listing available for a month, 2 months, or even 6 months.  These families need our help and every little bit goes such a long way.  I am currently working with AirBnb to get service fees removed if you agree to help with these efforts.  I am also working with AirBnb to understand the how hosts can apply discounts or even offer rent free spaces with the possibility to apply for federal reimbursement later.   So many families are still missing loved ones and have nothing left.  If you’d like offer your listing, at your discretionary rate and timeframe, please contact me on this platform to be added to the list.  I am working with a local organization on Maui who can help match those families in need of a home with the spaces available that fit their needs (ie. size of families, their medical needs, ADA, etc.) 

FYI: We will not be sharing your listing or details with any governmental officials).  
More information to come soon….
Mahalo Piha for your kokua!

#LahainaStrong 

#MauiFires

#KokuaMaui

#ComeTogetherForMaui

#LendYourListing

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I thought Airbnb.org was partnering with the Salvation Army in Hawaii to link hosts with those looking for accommodation is that not the case @Mandy439 ?

Airbnb does not charge service fees for hosts that offer accommodation through Airbnb.org so I am a little confused about why you would need to work with them to remove 'service fees' ? Hosts can also offer accommodation for free or a discounted rate through Airbnb.org

I'm sure it must be a devastating time for everyone in Hawaii so though rather than trying to duplicate what's already available on Airbnb.org this would be a better channel to direct hosts to who want to help those made homeless by the fires.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Haruna-And-Samy0 Let me introduce you to @Mandy439 . As you can see she is trying to help the victims of the dreadful Maui fires. As your bookings have been cancelled perhaps you could offer your place for a month or two.

Pihanalani0
Level 1
Waihee-Waiehu, HI

Perhaps linking up with airbnb.org could benefit  the displaced residents of Maui's Wildfires.

Jason2224
Level 1
San Jose, CA

I have a place in Kihei. Email me *personal information removed*

Aloha Jason, 

I am trying to place Maui fire victims with housing including:  

A Lahaina family of 4...Lauren and Tony with their 2 children ages 8 and 10 in desperate need of some stability. Tony was diagnosed with cancer in February....they just spent 20k at Straub Medical in Oahu. Can pay some rent. Thank you for any help you can offer. 🙏 

“Landlords who rent units to eligible residents displaced by the fires may be eligible for Federal Emergency Management Agency and/or state funds,” the news release said, adding that more details will be released as they become available.“

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/08/13/breaking-news/hawaii-fire-relief-housing-program-launches-...

Kolotina0
Level 1
California, United States

Aloha Mandy,

airbnb.org should be the ones to help. This is their area but they’ve been silent. We need to keep asking them to step in and help Lahaina. Many displaced and have no home to return to 💔

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

No they haven't been silent @Kolotina0 they have working with the Salvation Army in Hawaii 

are you based in Hawaii helping as a recovery worker and have seen otherwise ? 

Kolotina0
Level 1
California, United States

Mandy, pls call me: I would put my email but they will block it. Call me at **

**[Contact details removed -  Community Center Guidelines]

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I thought Airbnb.org was partnering with the Salvation Army in Hawaii to link hosts with those looking for accommodation is that not the case @Mandy439 ?

Airbnb does not charge service fees for hosts that offer accommodation through Airbnb.org so I am a little confused about why you would need to work with them to remove 'service fees' ? Hosts can also offer accommodation for free or a discounted rate through Airbnb.org

I'm sure it must be a devastating time for everyone in Hawaii so though rather than trying to duplicate what's already available on Airbnb.org this would be a better channel to direct hosts to who want to help those made homeless by the fires.

Helena825
Level 1
Grants Pass, OR

Hi Mandy! I am working with two families that lost all- one in burn unit, but husband needs lodging and will need for wife when released. Other family of four looking on Maui. ** Helena-

lmk if you have heard anything yet! They helped survivors after our Cali fires- thanks!

**[Contact details removed -  Community Center Guidelines]

Angela3484
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Here’s one look like offering stuff. Seems like the property manager may have more too **

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

It's incredible to see the Community looking for ways to support those affected by the Maui fire.

As mentioned by @Helen3, Airbnb.org has provided resources for Hosts to sign up so that they can offer a place to stay for survivors, first responders, and anyone else affected by the fires.

You can head here to sign up to host, or to make a donation where 100% of your donation will go towards the cost of temporary housing for survivors and responders.

I'm sending my love and strength to anyone affected by this tragic situation.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines