Lack of common items supplied in a rental?

Answered!
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Lack of common items supplied in a rental?

A good friend of mine originally from Tuscany Italy, now a restaurant owner in US, took his girlfriend back to Italy and rented through Airbnb. He said he had to pay extra for bedding! What?! Is this common?  Plus no toilet paper?! This doesn’t make sense.

Can someone enlighten me?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0 

You are right Huma, it pays not be too descriptive in what you offer.

Particularly during the warmer months and with return guests we do interact a bit socially and I make a point of stressing that no mention be made of any meals or social interaction publicly by guests because it does lead to the perception, that sort of activity comes with the booking. 

As much as I do enjoy hosting there is no way I would want to spend an evening with a high percentage of them.....best it just gets kept in private! 

Cheers.......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Basha0 it rather depends on what the listing says. It is common in certain US destinations not to provide linen so Italy may be similar.

@Mike-And-Jane0  I had not heard of places in the US not stocking. They must be dirt cheap

@Mike-And-Jane0  "It is common in certain US destinations not to provide linen"  ~ most ridiculous statement I've heard in a while.  

@Richard531 New England is a certain destination and often linen is not provided but hey, fill your boots and consider the statement ridiculous if you wish.

@Mike-And-Jane0  I was born in Boston, worked in Hartford, CT for 7 months, and dated a girl from Newport, RI for 2 years where we toured up and down the region together.  I've stayed in ~50 STRs/hotels across 8 northeastern states.  Exactly zero places we stayed (both good and bad) didn't provide linens.  

Maybe you're talking about experience from a long time ago?  Maybe you stayed in a <1% non-linen providing listing?  It probably happens all over the world if you pick the wrong place.  Must has sucked! 

I guess it kinda feels like you're deducing a commonality from limited experience.  It comes off as misguided and makes you sound a lot more ignorant that I'm certain you are.  

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Basha0 

I have noticed quite a few places especially in America that dont supply bedding or towels, who want to travel half way around the world carrying your own bedding and towels, Also the extra weight in your luggage.

Cant believe they didn't supply toilet rolls thats a proper cheap charlie host, 

What did it say in the listing? 

@Sudsrung0  He traveled to a few places in Italy and the only one that was fully stocked with bedding, towels and toilet paper was his 1st night. He was shocked. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It really depends what it says on the listing @Basha0 

surely your friend read what was included before booking???! As an experienced SH I'm sure you know that each host is an individual business and you need to read the listing to know what's included. 

it's still common in some European countries to provide your own linens and towels just as it is in some US holiday resorts such as in New England.

surprised you haven't come across it before 😁

@Helen3  I have not traveled since before COVID but I assure you I will double check what is included!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Simple, listings in any booking agency ranges from bare bones to supreme luxury and that usually and understandably is reflected in the price. Excepting hood-winkers what is and is not included is listed for all to see, and if not in wiring then maybe is not a good idea to assume anything. It is not an 'Airbnb thing'.

Outside of a cultural norm, such places are usually very cheap places and geared towards the frugal crowd' (i.e. backpackers). One thing for sure if a place by virtue of price looks too good to be true, it should be booked with a high degree of caution.

@Fred13  I will let my friend know what the community has reported back. Neither he nor I will, in the future, book without knowing fully what is stocked.

Aye @Basha0 it may be a different world nowadays, with a lot more combinations than we use to expect.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Basha0 

My feeling is, it has got to the point where you have to ask the host when booking, what is supplied!

It is not just limited to Airbnb or STR properties in general, I have recently stayed in a couple of motels and it is now common practice to have a made bed, a TV, a couple of bath towels, a mini cake of soap and that is it......no tea or coffee, no crockery, glasses, knives and forks, not even a toaster. There will be a supplied microwave, a mini fridge with nothing in it.....no milk or water. If you are lucky the air conditioning might work!

And these places are considerably more expensive than what I charge.

How would you like to make your way around this motel courtyard on foot.......!!!

IMG20220917081022.jpg

The quality of travelling accommodation has deteriorated exponentially over the past few years to the point where, if I am going to book a listing now I have a certain list of what I call essentials that I will ask for clarification......are they supplied or not! 

Cheers........Rob

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

@Robin4  oh my, that parking lot requires a boat!  I have not traveled since prior to COVID so I am unaware of the recent changes for the worst.

I provide all bedding, nice quality towels and soaps, coffee and tea and condiments with a fully stocked kitchen. And, plenty of toilet paper!