Language of the listing

Jakub---Boris0
Level 10
Prague, Czechia

Language of the listing

My listings are translated in 30 languages. There is one language, however, that predominates - which is called default language. For all my listings, it is French (as I am french). I would like to change this default language to English. Why should I do this? If you make a search in another language than the 30 in which the ads are translated, for example in Albanian, the ad will be displayed in the default language, with a possibility for the user to have it translated in his language by google translation. There are 2 advantages to have English as default language : 1) it's a language that is more spoken than French, and many people can understand without using google translation, 2) I'm a translator, and google translation is obviously much more efficient when it translates from English. How can I change the default language of my listings?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jakub---Boris0 

The language which is displayed depends on the local Airbnb website that person is using.

If i browse your listing via Airbnb.com, it shows me English

If using Airbnb.nl, it shows me Dutch.

If using Airbnb.fr, it shows me French

if using Airbnb.ca (Canada), it shows English

The primary language is the one the listing is created in, other languages are added.

BTW At the bottom of each lisitng users have an option to change language (and currency)

Maybe also interesting you:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2651/how-do-i-change-the-language-on-airbnb

You don't answer my question 

If you browse my listing via Airbnb.com, it shows you English, if my listing is translated in english. BTW it should show my listing in french, as french is my default language for the listings, and I suppose, that it's the default language, which is used on Airbnb.com. 

If using Airbnb.nl, it shows you Dutch, if my listing is translated in Dutch... and my listing is translated in Dutch.

If using Airbnb.alb, it shows you Albanian, if my listing is translated in Albanian, and my listing is not translated in Albanian, so it shows you French version, as French is the default language for the listings. The Albanian user has after that the possibility to have the text translated by Google translation, but 1) he was maybe speaking english 1) He might not have needed to translate, if the listing had been in English (if the default language was English) 2) The quality of the translation by google to Albanian is better from English

<div>The Albanian user has the possibility to have the text translated by Google translation</div>

<div>The Albanian user has the possibility to have the text translated by Google translation</div>

I have this problem too. I'm located in Switzerland. It defaults to German. I'd rather maintain my listing in English. It allows me to add English, but then I end up with two seperate language versions (that I need to maintain parallel) with the German version being translated into the other languages, so if I only update the English version, the German version is used and my updates aren't showing - Annoying! Translation services are quite seamless now so the hosts should be able to choose any default language they like and work with that and allow translation.

Just go to Account > Global Preferences > Preferred Language > English 🙂

Jakub---Boris0
Level 10
Prague, Czechia

@Zander15  You haven't understood the question !

@Jakub---Boris0 You're right! I was told by support staff that would work but it actually didn't. However, after doing that, I figured out how to duplicate the listing (which was much easier than re-creating it from scratch, maybe just 5 minutes) and the new one had a default language of English. Then I just deleted the old one. I'm happy to have found a solution. I hope that works for you too. Blessings!

We have already used the duplicating operation - and we don't see what it would change, since the default language is chosen automatically by the system. Have you understood the problem we speak about ? 

Apparently not, because after I changed my preferred language in Account settings and then duplicated the listing, the new default language was different. I suppose you have a different problem. Good luck!