Late guests and not aware of our dog

Answered!
Jo418
Level 1
Rotorua, NZ

Late guests and not aware of our dog

Good evening,

My guests have arrived later than expected.  Thats not a issue and they apologised. However they are very uncomfortable with our little dog, and wanted us to lock him in our room. He is clearly pictured on my listing page and my profile as having a small dog. They for religious reasons cant touch the dog. 

She said that l didn't show that! Or she just didn't read it. I am feeling very uncomfortable now to host...and suggested they find somewhere else to stay. They had booked for two nights. What do l do?? Reimburse and canceal....if l canceal that affects me being a superhost?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards Jo ,

New Zealand. 'Songbird'

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jo418  Yet another "Guest didn't bother to read the listing info". Sigh.

Absolutely don't cancel. It's up to the guest to cancel- they own this issue, not you. Just tell them that it was up to them to read the listing info where the dog is clearly mentioned, and that no, you aren't going to lock the dog up. That if they are uncomfortable with it, they can cancel their reservation. Don't refund them- they will get a refund anyway from Airbnb according to your cancellation policy, and it's likely that Airbnb won't even honor your policy and will refund them in full. Just tell them that Airbnb handles all the refunds and that as a host, you don't even get paid until 24 hours after guests check in.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jo418  Yet another "Guest didn't bother to read the listing info". Sigh.

Absolutely don't cancel. It's up to the guest to cancel- they own this issue, not you. Just tell them that it was up to them to read the listing info where the dog is clearly mentioned, and that no, you aren't going to lock the dog up. That if they are uncomfortable with it, they can cancel their reservation. Don't refund them- they will get a refund anyway from Airbnb according to your cancellation policy, and it's likely that Airbnb won't even honor your policy and will refund them in full. Just tell them that Airbnb handles all the refunds and that as a host, you don't even get paid until 24 hours after guests check in.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

I say let them cancel and then hope that Airbnb are fair with any refund (fair to you that is)

I have little sympathy if your guests didn't read the listing properly

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

Further to the above, in our listing we have the following - might be worth covering your situation in future for the numpties out there who can't read your intro text!

House Rules

Edit
  • 󱤈
    No smoking
  • 󱤆
    No pets
  • 󱤂
    No parties or events
You must also acknowledge
  • 󱤖
    Pet(s) live on property - 2 Cats and a dog live in the the Old Rectory attached to the apartment. The cats will attempt to gain entry to the apartment. The dog is a lovely Lab

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Their religion forbid them to touch animals. OK. Does their religion forbid them to read as well?