Listing with very little information

Answered!

Listing with very little information

How can I find out if a rental is not  scam?  A place that I was looking to rent for 5 weeks had very little info listed about the place.  Nothing on the bedrooms, beds, no pictures of the bedrooms.  The pictures that were posted were very narrow (not showing whole rooms) and some of the 14 posted were duplicates.  When I contacted the "Superhost" they gave me their email address and asked for mine.  I was asking for additional pictures and information on the place (bed types, damage remaining from the hurricane, outside pictures etc.).  They said they would send them to my email, but have not as yet.  Should I simply avoid this place and host?  Seems shady.  I thought all communications were supposed to be within the Airbnb site.  Thanks.

1 Best Answer

Hello @Brian2684 

This is a serious red flag Brian and this host is breaching Airbnb's policy and they can get banned from using the platform if you were to report them.  

I think your instincts are correct, I would definitely search for another place where you will feel comfortable with your host and everything is legit.

All the best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Brian2684 🌿

How did you manage to give your email to the host. It is not possible to exchange ‘personal info’ pre booking /Airbnb will block the info in the message feed. So no emails, phone numbers etc. and that is to avoid bookings outside the system and to avoid fraud. People who are getting scammed do usually find the Airbnb listings via Facebook marketplace, similar places etc. The scammers will link to a fake look-a-like Airbnb and/ or will ask the guest to wire /transfer money in order to book the place. If you book the ordinary way you can only pay through Airbnbs site or app and Airbnb will keep your money safe til after you have checked in. So if a host ask you to wire or transfer money or you find the listing via other sites - be wary as it might be a scammer. Only book going through the official Airbnb site paying with your credit card to Airbnb. 

He typed his email in a message writing the beginning on one line and gmail on the second line.

example:   

Clem123

Gmail

Hello @Brian2684 

This is a serious red flag Brian and this host is breaching Airbnb's policy and they can get banned from using the platform if you were to report them.  

I think your instincts are correct, I would definitely search for another place where you will feel comfortable with your host and everything is legit.

All the best

Joëlle

He is listed as a Superhost so I am unsure about what is up.  No ratings on the place either.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

These silly listings merit about a fraction of a nano-second of attention.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Brian2684 why are you even considering this place? Is it cheap?