Living in UK but need to call back a US number +1-844-234-2500 for AirBnb support and be charged £31 for 11 min. Why?

Living in UK but need to call back a US number +1-844-234-2500 for AirBnb support and be charged £31 for 11 min. Why?

Why would AirBnb support call you via +1-844-234-2500 although you live in UK and you need to call them back on the same number and then be considered as an international phone call? 
This is a first for any service company provider. 

What does AirBnb does to remedy on this? 

1 Reply 1
Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Xavier809 

I thought that Airbnb like most international companies would have local or toll free numbers to call for support. You could also message them on the app or through the Airbnb web platform as the customer service agents respond there as well - they usually call and leave a message and also message you on the app to follow up. If I were charged I would only message through the app.

@Quincy @Rebecca @Paula @Elisa could you help Xavier out with this? Why would someone be charged for an international call? I thought the 844 number was said to be toll free? Or maybe it was toll free in the US only?