Mass cancellation due to change in circumstances

Zarah21
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Mass cancellation due to change in circumstances

Hello all,

I am having to take my listing off Airbnb as we can no longer afford to keep it as a short term let. Unfortunately I need to cancel all bookings from March onwards. I feel really awful doing this as I guests have messaged me to how excited they are for their stay. 

Id like to send them all an apology and a heartfelt message when I’m cancelling but I don’t know where to start. Has anyone been in similar circumstances and do you have any advice on what to write to the guests? 

Many thanks! 

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Zarah21 no advice I am afraid BUT you will be penalised heavily by Airbnb. I guess you could ask the guests nicely if they would cancel for you but they may object to this.

Hello, 

I spoke to someone at Airbnb support and was told that I would not be penalised as long as I give the guests 24 hours notice. I will give them another call to make sure that this is the case. 

@Zarah21 unless you have a good 'extenuating circumstance' for the cancellation you will be fined. The fine increases the nearer you are to the guest's stay. See below for details

If a Host cancels a confirmed reservation, or if the Host is found to be responsible for a cancellation under this Policy, we will impose fees subject to a minimum cancellation fee of $50 USD. The fee is based on the reservation amount and when the reservation is canceled:

• If the reservation is canceled 48 hours or less before check-in, or after check-in, the fee is 50% of the reservation amount for the nights not stayed
  • If the reservation is canceled anytime between 48 hours and 30 days before check-in, the fee is 25% of the reservation amount
  • If the reservation is canceled more than 30 days before check-in, the fee is 10% of the reservation amount
  • For reservations of 28 days or longer, the cancellation fees above will be calculated as a percentage of the non-refundable portion of the reservation as of the time of cancellation—up to the 30-day period following the cancellation date—rather than the entire reservation amount

When calculating cancellation fees, the reservation amount includes the base rate, cleaning fee, and any pet fees, but excludes taxes and guest fees. If the calculated cancellation fee is less than $50 USD, it will be adjusted up to $50 USD.

Hi…Am I reading this correctly, hosts fee for cancelling, at minimum $50 fee and/or higher based up “the reservation amount and when the reservation is canceled, see 4 bullet points”

Plus…possible delisting..

@Alex1485 Yep that's right - Airbnb don't like hosts cancelling because it ruins the guest's trip and generates a bad reputation for Airbnb.

What happens if you have to sell the property and need to cancel bookings? Any advice is appreciated. 

@Katie1013 You get fined I am afraid. Selling a property takes time so it should be possible to only open the calendar for a limited period of time tomatclh the sale date.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you have been advised incorrectly @Zarah21 you will be fined for each booking you cancel. (See Mike's post).

are you deleting  both the Bristol listing and the new listing you set up recently?

normally you only get penalty free cancellations as a host if you meet the EC host cancellation policy?