Minimum stay - glitch?

Answered!
Prew0
Level 2
Long Wittenham, United Kingdom

Minimum stay - glitch?

My listing is set as a minimum stay of 2 nights so I was very surprised to receive an automatic booking for 1 night. Is this a glitch? I have searched the Community Center and found several other reports of this happening. I am trying to contact AirBnB support but so far no reply. I may have to just accept this booking to save my "Super Host" status but really don't want this to be happening. I have had a friend try and book for one night to test it and they haven't been able to to it must be an intermittent fault. Any comments to avoid this happening again would be gratefully received.

Top Answer
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Prew0 

There are 3 ways in which your minimum stay may be overridden (assuming you're only using Airbnb's calendar and not managing your calendar through third-party software).

One way is if you have professional tools turned on, and you have created a rule set with a one-night minimum stay that is applied only to certain nights.

The second possibility is that you could have set certain nights of the week to attract different minimum stays. Go to calendar, availability, click minimum nights. You will see the "customise by check-in day" option. Check that one or more days of the week aren't perhaps set to accept 1-night stays.

The third possibility is that you could have created a "custom trip length" for some dates, and that it was set to a 1-night minimum. Custom trip lengths are shown just below maximum nights on the calendar.

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Shelley159
Top Contributor

Hi @Prew0 

There are 3 ways in which your minimum stay may be overridden (assuming you're only using Airbnb's calendar and not managing your calendar through third-party software).

One way is if you have professional tools turned on, and you have created a rule set with a one-night minimum stay that is applied only to certain nights.

The second possibility is that you could have set certain nights of the week to attract different minimum stays. Go to calendar, availability, click minimum nights. You will see the "customise by check-in day" option. Check that one or more days of the week aren't perhaps set to accept 1-night stays.

The third possibility is that you could have created a "custom trip length" for some dates, and that it was set to a 1-night minimum. Custom trip lengths are shown just below maximum nights on the calendar.

Prew0
Level 2

Thanks for replying @Shelley159 . I checked my listing and the single day that they booked had indeed been changed to a special "customised check in" of one day. My point is that it just seems too much of a coincidence that I had accidentally changed this single day to over-ride my usual 2-day minimum stay rule and that of all the days they could have booked, this was the day they chose to stay!

That's why I'm questioning whether anyone else has had a surprise booking of less than their minimum.

I'm also concerned that if I have inadvertently over-ridden my minimum stay that I might do it again.

Fiona267
Level 1
Scamander, Australia

Hi Prew0 - I wanted to let you know this has happened to me on more than one occasion over the last two years so you are not going crazy, this is a glitch in the software programming in my opinion.

It is pretty much impossible to accidentally, randomly, alter your two night minimum stay as this takes a few deliberate steps and why would a host randomly, deliberately, do this?

This issue has caused me incredible stress, frustration and ultimately money when trying to communicate the issue to an Airbnb ambassador.

The last time this happened to me was last week and I explained to the guest we do not do single night bookings. In the end I had to cancel the booking, the first time I have ever cancelled a booking in five years as a superhost. I was informed by Airbnb I would incur a financial penalty for cancelling - considering the reason for it, this is ludicrous in the extreme.

I have been informed, repeatedly, that this situation is a direct result of something I did, which I did not.

You then start to think that maybe you did do something as there is no acknowledgement of this being a real issue but yesterday I ran into a local host and the first thing he said, unprompted, was that he was dealing with a single night booking for 9 people - he does not have a single night minimum stay at his property but as he runs a big busy business as well as his Airbnb, he simply has no time to deal with it and has just accepted the situation as a glitch.

Considering the millions of hosts out there this cannot be something just happening to 3 people!

I expect the problem will likely occur again.I hope this helps you but personally it seems all we can do is continue to try to get this situation taken seriously or consider looking for alternative booking options.  

Prew0
Level 2

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply. I was already sure I could not have caused this to happen but I am now convinced and I will continue to pursue airbnb about it. 
On your other point about cancellation penalties this happened to me a few years ago when a new month (December) was opened up on the calendar for booking 3 months in advance. I wasn’t quick enough to block Christmas weekend and when someone booked I immediately messaged them to apologise and ask them to cancel (at no cost to them) but they didn’t so I had to cancel them… to a fine, and loss of super host status for me. Even though it was so far in advance! There are some features of the system that are really frustrating but one of the worst is the lack of support from the management!

Shelley159
Top Contributor

Hi @Prew0 

I realise this is not your question here, but just as an aside:

You don't have to block Christmas just because you can't change guests (I struggled with this type of scheduling for a long time too). You can go to the account page and turn on professional tools. This allows you to create a rule that people can stay over those days, but not check in or out. Professional Tools may also help with your minimum stay issue, as it overrides the calendar settings.