Mukti day staying guests in traditional bed and breakfast

Rick4446
Level 1
Mattawa, Canada

Mukti day staying guests in traditional bed and breakfast

My wife and I operate a traditional bed and breakfast where guests stay in our home and share some of the space with us while enjoying a large private area as well.  Not often, but occasionally we find that guests staying many days in a row seem to want to 'hang out' in the bed and breakfast for hours after breakfast, rather than going off to do whatever they have planned for the day and returning later on.  My preference is for guests to head out for the day or at least for several hours by 11 a.m.  11 a.m. is our normal check out time.  Guests are welcome to return after a few hours if they wish.  But those few hours after breakfast allow me to take care of personal matters outside the home- things which I cannot do when guests are in the house.  Question- is it reasonable for me to expect guests to head out within an hour or two after breakfast so that I can do the things I need to do each day?   What are your experiences with this?  I look forward to hearing from others who operate a traditional bnb as we do.  Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rick4446 In the UK in the 60s B&Bs would require people to leave in the morning and not return until late afternoon. I don't believe this concept either exists today or would be acceptable today. That said, if this is what you want then just add the timing you require guests to leave to your listing rules. I would also suggest you confirm people have understood this rule when they book.

Thank you for the information and thoughts.  My listing states that multi night guests are 'encouraged to leave the bnb for several hours....' but perhaps I should be much more direct about this expectation on my part so that guests are clear.   Thank you again.

@Rick4446  A traditional B&B as you describe it is actually a charming but rare thing to find on Airbnb. Your home looks like a really cozy place to hang out and the food looks delicious. I can't blame people for wanting to linger around and enjoy the vibes.

Under the current norms of short-term rentals, guests have access to the rented space for the entire period from check-in to check-out, and they make their own decisions about when (and whether) they'll go out and do stuff. I would find it pretty invasive for a host to insist that I leave the property altogether at certain hours of the day.

However, it's completely fine and normal to set access hours for the communal areas of the house. You might say, for example, that the dining room is closed between breakfast and dinner and that the outdoor spaces are closed at 10 PM. But I wouldn't recommend denying anyone access to their bedroom or bathroom at any point in the day. If you're unable to leave the house when a guest happens to be in their own room, it sounds like something else (e.g. locks) has to change.

Thank you for your reply Andrew; and thank you for your positive comments about our place.  Our home isn't set up to separate guest and non-guest areas physically with any kind of barrier so that makes the situation perhaps more difficult to deal with.  Fortunately, this issue doesn't arise too often as the vast majority of our multi-night guests are here to experience all the area has to offer and hence tend to go off and start their day's adventures soon after breakfast,  returning  mid to late afternoon or early evening.  As a traditional BnB, we are a bit unique in the Airbnb world.  Thanks again.

@Rick4446  I'm glad it doesn't happen too often. But if it's unavoidable that sometimes the home will be closed to guests,  I think it's better to put out the specific hours of that window of time in your House Rules (e.g. 12-4 PM). And reiterate it at check-in. It's to your benefit to deter bookings from guests who want the freedom to decide whether to go out after breakfast, and to prevent any misunderstandings that could leave someone feeling sour.