Must I warn for ticks and ev snakes?

Answered!

Must I warn for ticks and ev snakes?

Hello everyone, this is my first year as a host. We live in the countryside, and I rent out a guesthouse on our property. The house is only some 50 meters from the main house. 

In the airbnb listing, you are supposed to warn guests from dangerous animals. So I wonder, are ticks, snakes and jellyfish dangerous? To me they are not, they are just natural co-inhabitants that I have to take caution of. Like not running without shoes in high grass, or swimming in the sea without taking a look around.

I have never been snakebitten, but sometimes I do get ticks in summertime. Do hou think I have to write that in my listings? 
Thanks for your advice!

@Katinka13

1 Best Answer

@Katinka13  A few years ago I stayed with a friend on a small island in Finland, and since it was my first time in that region I was really surprised to be constantly spotting snakes. They didn't bother me and nobody got bitten, but my friend got quite a fright. It's a common enough phobia that I would recommend making some mention of them in the listing. People who are truly terrified of snakes should think twice before booking, and everyone else should at least be reminded to pack appropriate footwear and watch where they step.

I wouldn't necessarily put ticks or non - deadly jellyfish in the same category, as they tend to be more of a nuisance than a terror. But plenty of city folks have no idea what to do if they get a tick or a jellyfish sting on their skin, so you might want to include some helpful prevention tips in your House Manual, and keep a tick twister in your first aid kit. 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

@Katinka13  A few years ago I stayed with a friend on a small island in Finland, and since it was my first time in that region I was really surprised to be constantly spotting snakes. They didn't bother me and nobody got bitten, but my friend got quite a fright. It's a common enough phobia that I would recommend making some mention of them in the listing. People who are truly terrified of snakes should think twice before booking, and everyone else should at least be reminded to pack appropriate footwear and watch where they step.

I wouldn't necessarily put ticks or non - deadly jellyfish in the same category, as they tend to be more of a nuisance than a terror. But plenty of city folks have no idea what to do if they get a tick or a jellyfish sting on their skin, so you might want to include some helpful prevention tips in your House Manual, and keep a tick twister in your first aid kit. 

Dear @Anonymous Thank you so much for answering! Regarding snakes, I have not seen any here for at least 20 years, but I know they exist because I have heard of dogs that have been bitten when running around loose in the terrain. So I would think it would be enough to inform guests in the House Manual that snakes do exist in our local fauna, though they are not common? Regarding ticks, I will follow your instructions and include the information in the House Manual, and also keep a tick twister in the first aid kit.

Kind regards Katinka

@Katinka13  It sounds like snakes are far less ubiquitous in your area than in the island I visited -  actually even in Berlin I encounter snakes almost every summer around the lakes, so perhaps they're more common here. If you haven't seen any for decades, I wouldn't say it merits a bold disclaimer.  In this case, some practical tips for roaming the lands in your House Manual should be sufficient. Just for the occasional guest who isn't used to the countryside.