Mystery Booking

Jennifer1696
Level 2
California, United States

Mystery Booking

Hello, I’ve been hosting for over 6 years now , a super host for whatever that’s worth. We have a new house listing where I confirmed a month long booking, the guest tried to get me to book off the site , I said no and we proceeded after I honored a requested discount . I saw she had 7 reviews 2 in another language and 5 other good reviews in English .  The conversations were a little rough to understand. My listing says “newly renovated”, she checks in and within the first 30 min. complains of smelling paint and formaldehyde and was scared she was going to get leukemia. Mind you we painted over 40 days ago and the house does not smell as we have had other guests stay. She cancels in the night and I accept it because  the conversations were getting so strange I accepted and wanted them out. So I sacrificed a month long booking because I was worried of what might transpire in the house . When I reviewed her guest reviews once more to try to make sense of thing I realized the 5 English reviews were from the same host, my huge mistake overseeing that’s. I’ve asked Airbnb twice if they can check into those being legitimate and they haven’t responded…… my question being… has anyone encountered a guest immediately wanting to check out and wanting a full refund? Is there a scam associated with it? The cancellation happened at 2:30am, at 7 am they said they were leaving and needed to tidy up… I went to the house they cooked a big meal, moved some things around hid a comforter and throw rugs in cabinets. WEIRD STUFF!! This house is near new, professional designed, super clean and doesn’t smell. It feels like a twilight zone episode with all that evolved. Any advice on this being a wacky scam or just a wacky person??

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jennifer1696 I can't see what the scam would be but then I am not a scammer....

I suspect the person is just weird OR has found a better/cheaper place and just wanted out for free.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

as you said this booking had red flags all over it. I would just leave an honest review and move on @Jennifer1696 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I don't know what to say about this super-weird guest, @Jennifer1696, but I do want to say how much I love your place.  You've really nailed that California cottage look beautifully.

Jennifer1696
Level 2
California, United States

Very kind Ann ! Thanks for your comment ; )

@Jennifer1696 

Y'know - I'd just let her go, and move on.  Do you really need this situation, for a month?

Thanks my thoughts exactly!