Neighbor Harassing Guests

Neighbor Harassing Guests

Good day everyone!

We have a situation where we are legally renting out our home through AirBNB and have a neighbor who is not happy about the situation. On many occasions she has voiced her concerns to our guests as they are either in the driveway or on a walk. The neighbor has even gone as far as to tell our guests to take the trash up, not park in the street, etc. Thus far we have been able to smooth things over for the most part with the guests and prevent any negative reviews. We have been back and forth with the neighbor on several situations and have decided to cut off communication with them to avoid further conflict as they are quite tenacious and borderline harassing.

We are curious if anyone has had a similar situations of neighbors repetitively bothering guests or sharing their opinions of the Airbnb/STR situation and their level of dislike.

We have contemplated seeking legal advice and potentially a cease and desist or even a civil defamation suit, however, we are not sure if this situation would be considered defamation in the eyes of the law, and also don't want to poke the hornets nest more than necessary.

44 Replies 44

Dupe

How about contiguous ones? Single-family homes? It’s insane.

Kristina46
Level 10
Hawaii, United States

I have somewhat the opposite problem! My neighbor loves to chat up my guests from her lanai, which over looks my guest patio. She's even invited one set  over for Christmas dinner (kind of showing me up because I didn't offer comparable hospitality!) and has even kept in touch with a few of them with emails and postcards. If possible I like to say goodbye to my guests, thanking them for staying, but suddenly there's my neighbor jumping in saying goodbye too! I have even had reviews which mention her as part of what they liked about my place. It's a little annoying but after reading these accounts, there are definitely worse neighbors out there. 

We are new to Airbnb and have a neighbor stirring things up with other neighbors.  He doesn’t live there full time, but doesn’t like it. The property is on the lake.  Anyone living on the water, knows sound carries.  Thank you for the input and advice.

@Donna1247   The last exchange in your reviews, regarding your neighbor spying on guests with a drone and physically threatening your husband, sounds very disturbing for all of you. I hope you're able to reach a resolution that allows you to feel safe in the home again, but I think for the time being you made the right decision by cancelling upcoming stays and de-listing the home. Verbal aggression is one thing, but this behavior is more like stalking.

💯! Pools in every lot = the same. Noise is noise!!

Hongdou0
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

What about the neighbors?  I bought my property expecting neighbors, not hotel users.

live in a lake community where you expect your neighbors to have one or two parties in a season.

weekly renters party every week.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hongdou0 

Technically, parties are not allowed by Airbnb and most hosts do not want parties happening at their properties. Have you tried speaking to the host about it?

So instead, they invite screaming families and kids. Because it’s better for them not necessarily better for noise.

take it from me, I counted 16 complaints to my next-door neighbor In the course of 18 months. I never blame them just the people now I’ve been accused of being the harassing neighbor????

This is the problem….

This! I have a similar issue, my neighbors listing is perfect for entertaining. He regularly hose locals who use it as an event center.  One time we saw a female guest standing outside topless. We spoke to the neighbor and Airbnb but were brushed off. Lately we've had to clean up  butts  and trash his guest threw over the fence.    

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@D-J-22 

Did you try this route?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/neighbors

I did it was a waste of my time. Said I was uncomfortable because I was threatened with a lawsuit!  By the host! 
They close the case in 24 hours for reservation problem. Useless. And no way to contact their legal department other by snail mail

This. Exactly what you said we bought our property saved our whole lives for a nice quiet neighborhood. People who do not live there come and forget that they are visitors.

D-J-22
Level 2
Lynnwood, WA

Have you tried talking to your neighbor to see what her beef is? Maybe she's just a busy body that doesn't like new people coming through. In which case there's not much you can do other than assure her guest will be respectful and treat the neighborhood as their own. Unfortunately that's not always the case . If she's had legitimate problems with some of you guest then she might be feeling unheard, and telling anyone she can to validate her frustrations. 

Even if your guests are horrible, what are YOU going to do about it? You forced this on them.