Neighbours smoking cigarettes

Neighbours smoking cigarettes

My current guest, who checked in a few days ago is complaining about a smell of cigarettes in the foyer of the apartment block where my Airbnb is. He has asked me to ask the Body corporate to do something about it, which I have but haven't heard anything back yet. I have agreed to pay for a air diffuser however he is still complaining about the smell and saying that it's unpleasant and unsafe every time they go in and out of the apartment. The smell is not inside the Airbnb. Not sure what more to do as I have no control over what the other occupants in the building do inside their own home. Any advice?

9 Replies 9
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Donna507 

I agree that you have done everything you can reasonably do. If you complain to the neighbors they might decide to complain about you which is to be avoided at all costs.

I suspect that you got a chronic whiner as a guest.

I would probably politely explain that you cannot control the other residents and suggest that the guest change their reservation to leave as soon as possible.

Thanks Brian for your response, yes his complaints are quite outrageous!! I've been running this airbnb continuously for 4 years now, very successfully, and this is the first complaint around this that I've had and he's just not letting up, messages me everyday.  Guests like this makes me want to stop offering it as an airbnb.  

@Donna507 Hopefully guests like this will remain a rarity. But if you get another whiner in the future, I recommend sending that booking alteration at the first complaint, so it doesn't have a chance to escalate. Message received:  If you're not happy here, go somewhere else or STFU.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Donna507 “Dear Guest, so sorry, but I have little to no control over what happens beyond the walls of the Airbnb, and as you are not happy, I will advance your check out date to ‘today’ and let you find a place that better suits your needs. You will of course be refunded for unused nights. Best of luck!”

You need to get them out, now, rather than have them stay, then successfully wrangle an unjustified refund from Airbnb after completing their stay. This guest sounds like just the type to do that, and Airbnb CS is generally inept enough to agree.

Thank you Colleen, I have messaged him back with the suggestion to leave.  I will also contact Airbnb to let them know the situation.  It's a real pity that some people have to be like this.  The word entitlement comes to mind... 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Donna507 @Colleen253 

As soon as someone starts using the word “unsafe” I want them out of my house.

That’s all they have to tell CS to get you shut down.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

While it's undoubtedly pretty vile (for a non-smoker), dangerous it isn't. You'd be wise to take the advice above and get rid, @Donna507.

@Donna507   I cast another vote for persuading this guest to cut his stay short. Here's how to get the ball rolling: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/as-a-host-how-do-i-make-a-change-to-a-confirmed-reservation

Great thank you Andrew