New host: guest is asking for my photo in the room I rent for certification.

Leila427
Level 2
Hanover, Germany

New host: guest is asking for my photo in the room I rent for certification.

Hello

Since I am new host with no review one guest is asking for my photo in the room I rent for certification.

what do you think?!🤔 

14 Replies 14
Maggie-and-Norm0
Level 10
Fernandina Beach, FL

May not be a good idea @Leila427

Why?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Leila427 I can't see anything wrong/dangerous about this request. I don't know how you could share the image but you could add it temporarily to the listing.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't share photos with guests before they book so this wouldn't be possible @Leila427 . Just tell the guest to protect the safety of guests and hosts you are not allowed to exchange information including photos before a booking is made.

How many reviews does this guest have by the way?

It is an unusual request that I have never come across.

She has none reviews.

I was thinking to change my profile picture or add a temporary photo in room category 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If she doesn't have any reviews I certainly wouldn't be offering the guest this.  @Leila427  Just explain to her, just as she is, you are verified through Airbnb.

The idea of changing your profile pic to show you in the room is a good one if you want to do this.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Leila427 
I experienced this once with an ad. They also wanted me to send a photo via a link for identification. This was because they had had bad experiences before
That turned out to be an attempt at fraud.

Did you share a photo?

I was thinking of adding a temporary photo in my album or change my profile picture to the one she wants  to see. 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Leila427 
No, I woke up just in time 🙂

Guests can see my photo via my profile

Tara0
Level 10
Oxford, United Kingdom

Asking you to send the photo via a link is a big red flag. 

Tara0
Level 10
Oxford, United Kingdom

@Leila427 So, you're both newbies with zero reviews. It seems fairly reasonable, for a solo female guest to be a bit anxious in the circumstances. (There are thousands of bad reviews on Trustpilot about Airbnb). She'll want to be sure you're genuinely a female host, for a start. So, I don't see any harm in temporarily adding a photo to your listing of you in the room. 

Equally, you might be a bit anxious that the female guest is who she says she is, so I would sound her out to find out why she's visiting, ask if she's fine with the house rules, - whatever - create a dialogue whereby you'll both get a sense of each other. 

Thank you I did that 

and actually the booking is confirmed 

it turned out it is a boy and they are 2 guests. 

So he came with a friend who joined him much later. 
he was a bit nervous and strange. It seems they wanted to just meet there. Anyway everything went well! 
I can’t really complain! 

@Leila427 Excellent to hear all was well and it just shows that not all 'strange' requests are scams.