New listings notification for travelers?

Jean107
Level 4
New York, NY

New listings notification for travelers?

Hi,

Is there a feature that notifies you of new listings that meet your search criteria as a traveler? I started a wish list for an upcoming trip but would like a way to be notified of new listings for a specific city.

37 Replies 37
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@James1042  Actually AirBnB does send out new listings just published to guest with recently matching search critera. I believe there are 3 properties listed on the email you get sent if you match up, but unfortunately more times than not this get sent to your spam, especially on gmail. 

Shibley0
Level 2
Portland, OR

Hi, I am working on a solution for this problem.  Feel free to check out ** and get early access.  ( not interested in spamming anyone ).  

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

Thanks,

Shibley

Hi, this is very interesting. I'm thinking of working on a solution for this problem by myself but I didn't start the actual coding yet. Are you planning to opensource anything or is there any other possibility to contribute?

I hope you can get this to work 🙂

any news on this?

Jen258
Level 1
Manly, Australia

I would love this feature too!

Manuel722
Level 1
Kassel, Germany

I was looking for this feature a year ago when trying to book a place in a high-demand, mostly private offers city and couldn't believe airbnb doesn't have it. A year later, looking to book in the same place and it's still not there. I suspect this isn't offered on purpose...

Hi, I also found myself wanting this feature lately so I worked on a bit of a solution. Thought I would share it in case anyone is interested: Happy travelling!

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

screenshot.png

Very cool Jordan - will give this a go!

This is SCAM! 

The site is completely unaccessible since as soon as you land on homepage you get overwhelmed by ads and there is no way to close them. I tried multiple times but had no success. 

Andrew2856
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Yeah I'd love this feature too. The same feature has been on eBay for years and I use it a lot. Being able to receive notifications of properties that match search criteria would probably mean I would use Airbnb more. And the point about filtering out properties you have seen and discarded would make the search process so more enjoyable!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I didn't know Ebay offer short term rentals @Andrew2856  when did they start doing that?

You can easily filter out properties you don't want by creating a wishlist of properties you have shortlisted that meet your criteria.

Andrew2856
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Helen,

Sorry, I didn't phrase my comment too well. You're right that eBay do not offer short term rentals. But what they do very well is have a platform function that enables the user to "save searches" to their profile. Once the search is saved, the user receives an email alert when a new item matches the search. You will find the same feature on many sites like right move for example. That's the feature that I was referring to - a saved search and email alerts.

Regarding the wishlist, yes I'm with you and I use that feature a lot but the wishlist is not an alert for new listings it's just a list for properties you like. I think Airbnb can do more here and help get better matches for its' users for "new" listings. Don't get me wrong, I love Airbnb, I just thought that this thread was a really useful product development feature and wanted to support it by giving the thumbs up!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's not the same concept though is it @Andrew2856  with a product such as a computer or a book you may not need it as an immediate purchase so is not time sensitive and there are likely to be multiples of the product you want to buy . You may choose to wait to see if new products come along as you don't have an immediate need to buy.

With a STR most listings are one off and once they are booked there is no opportunity to book the same place for the same dates as it is a single rather than a multiple product. 

Andrew2856
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I agree that it's a different concept Helen. I do stick by belief that it would be a very useful addition to Airbnb though. So let me give you a use case. Currently, I am trying to book a skiing chalet in the Alps and we are a little bit late making our booking so there is quite limited choice. I created a wishlist of 6 properties that were close but when I showed the wishlist to my wife she didn't like any of them. So the wishlist is in the bin.

What I do know though is that we have booked our flights so our dates are set and we know where we are flying to, so our drivable area is set. All we now need is for a new listing to "pop up" that will be our ideal listing - because it matches our search criteria. If something doesn't popup, we have a back-up reservation plan to use a hotel we have used before. I don't agree that booking on Airbnb is time sensitive - if we don't like the places we see, we simply won't book but will wait. We're not prepared to settle for something that's not what we want and feel like we are being time-pressured into accepted something that's not ideal. Holidays are precious and we want it to be as perfect as it can be. If we have to settle for something that's not ideal then the holiday is off to a bad start before it begins.

So what I feel I need is an alert just like the one that Jordan734 above has made.  In fact I am trying Jordans tool and am hoping that something pops up by using it. It's a query string that has my criteria embedded inside it. Jordan has done a very neat job of analysing the need that is expressed by many people on this thread. The general consensus of this thread is that it's a good idea.