New to hosting - first guest request

Answered!
Filipe218
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

New to hosting - first guest request

Hello hosts, 

Our place just went online today and we got our first book request. The person has never used Airbnb and doesn't has his profile filled up. 

What should I do?

Do you all have a setting that automatically asks a question to booking requests? Like: tell me a little bit about your self. What's the purpose of your visit? Things like that. 

1 Best Answer

Hi Again!

There can be if you do too many (Airbnb tracks this). You might contact Airbnb Customer Support and explain that the guest hasn't responded to your questions/you're concerned their profile is not complete/you don't feel comfortable hosting them. They may be able to decline for you and not have it effect your decline rate. I would at least ask them?

I believe guests can request again, unless you hit the three dots on the right side of a message (hover over message and the dots will appear). This will block any further requests from any "unsuitable guests" . Otherwise they may keep sending requests.

Reporting and Blocking a Guest

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020

"If you block someone, they won’t be able to send you messages, use Instant Book for your listings, send you a reservation request, or accept a reservation request from you."

Decline a Trip Request

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/360

Let us know what happens 😊

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Filipe218 I would just reply and ask questions. Automated responses are fine but the potential guest may have sent a message answering them already so will be annoyed if they get the same questions repeated. If it is a request you have 24 hrs to accept/decline so do be quick. If it is an enquiry you just need to respond and can ignore the accept/decline buttons.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I didn't know about the inquiry VS request option, but now I know it was a request because there is a 24hrs timer to accept/decline. I did reply yesterday early evening with questions but the guest haven't replied, so I guess I'll wait until a little bit closer to my deadline to accept/decline (7 hours left).

Thank you! 🙂 

Hi!

@Mike-And-Jane0 gave good advice. Many new hosts don't know about the difference between an actual booking request and an inquiry! They both have those "accept", "decline" buttons, but for inquiries no need to hit "accept" until you are ready; just respond to msg as @Mike-And-Jane0 suggest. If they don't respond no problem. 

Another word of caution, some "not so ideal" guests will search for the "New" callout on listings, as they know these are most likely inexperienced hosts. 

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the advice Joan. 

Is there any downside to declining a request? Will the same guest be able to request again?

Thank you

Hi Again!

There can be if you do too many (Airbnb tracks this). You might contact Airbnb Customer Support and explain that the guest hasn't responded to your questions/you're concerned their profile is not complete/you don't feel comfortable hosting them. They may be able to decline for you and not have it effect your decline rate. I would at least ask them?

I believe guests can request again, unless you hit the three dots on the right side of a message (hover over message and the dots will appear). This will block any further requests from any "unsuitable guests" . Otherwise they may keep sending requests.

Reporting and Blocking a Guest

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020

"If you block someone, they won’t be able to send you messages, use Instant Book for your listings, send you a reservation request, or accept a reservation request from you."

Decline a Trip Request

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/360

Let us know what happens 😊

Thank you very much Joan! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Filipe218 

do have a look at the Airbnb Help website 

it has FAQs on most aspects of managing your listing on how Airbnb works