No longer hosting

Sherri14
Level 2
Byron, WY

No longer hosting

We've had no issues this year, but with Airbnb continuing to be moving more and more to guests and the opportunity to sell our property, we're gone. Airbnb most recent idea that guests just need to close the door behind them and not have any checkout expectations was more than I could stand. Staying in a home is a privilege and if you can't pickup after yourself, taking out your trash, cleaning your dish, taking your food your brought, laying back the beds you used etc, then you should get a hotel.  I never had non-contact check-in, I had guests that there was supposed to be 12 and ended up with them sneaking 25, dogs etc, I wanted to see whom was renting my house. When homes get damaged Airbnb is getting harder to work with and have claims covered, their idea of normal wear is much different than mine. I wish all hosts the best.

18 Replies 18

@John5097 Your place is really spectacular and I see why you have all 5*.

There is one thing I will copy for next summer and can’t believe I hadn’t thought of it—putting lawn chairs out so guests can enjoy the outdoors.  If I’m ever in you neck of the woods, I’m definitely looking you up. 

@Gwen386 

Thanks so much! Would love for you to stay! I did all the renovations. I didn't even plan on it being an Airbnb when I started and went over budget but it worked out great. Guest love the lawn chairs. They are recycled plastic so don't rot and sturdy. They just sit on the grass for now. 

Congrats to being off to a great start with your listing! 

After 300 reservations completed all my guest have loved it, I think because its exceptionally clean. 

BTW I've had some great times in Maryland! 

@John5097 Thanks and you’re welcome. Wow, you did the renovations yourself. The workmanship is awesome! And I agree 100% that exceptional cleanliness garner the 5* because I also go above and beyond. 

Too funny (kind of a similar story). When the pandemic happened and I was able to work from home, I took that opportunity to search for my “forever” home. It was going to be my retirement home—not an airbnb. The home is much too large for one person, but I got outbid on 5 previous houses and was determined it wouldn’t happen again. So, the basement was finished with a rough-in for kitchen; however, I never spent time in the basement, even after I had a kitchen installed. That’s when a friend said, why don’t you consider airbnb. I haven’t regretted it. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Sherri14 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've decided to stop hosting.

As mentioned by @Huma0 are you able to explain where Airbnb have advised that they want guests to have no checking out expectations?  It doesn't sound right and it's not something that I'm aware of.  It would be good to know your source just so that we can make sure that more people aren't thinking the same.

I had a quick look for check-out policy and found this in the Resource Center which has some great ideas about how to provide a smooth check-out for guests.

Your feedback could really help here, as people shouldn't feel like they need to quit hosting due to a misunderstanding, so please do let us know where you saw the idea and we can help try to get that sorted out.

Thanks

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines