No reviews yet

Ashley1837
Level 1
Giddings, TX

No reviews yet

Hello,

I'm looking into a place to stay however I'm a bit cautious. The host is new and the listing has no reviews. Is this something I should be cautious about? What do you all think?

**[Identifiable listing removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner]

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ashley1837 I haven't looked at the listing but I have looked at your profile. It appears your first (and only)Airbnb stay was in July 2020 when a host took a risk on you as a new 

guest. They risked significant money so, on principle, I wouldn't worry about the risk you are taking as it is small by comparison.

I appreciate the insight. I guess the way I see it on a guest end is my card/bank information is all on file so if I broke house rules, the host would still get paid (I would hope) for any damages I did. I worry about paying for a trip and getting there and having no other place to stay if it is indeed a scam post. I would have to disagree that $1,000 is a small risk to take (the cost of listing in question). I guess at the end of the day I will just have to go with my gut.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately that isn't how Airbnb works. The guest has to agree for any claim for damages, so the host may not get paid if the guest denies the damage. 

$1000 is a small risk compared to a home that can be worth 200 - 600,000 or more.

In your situation I would suggest the safest thing to do is to find a superhost who has been operating a year or more who has lots of recent positive reviews @Ashley1837 

Thanks so much for the insight!

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

Hello @Ashley1837 

Thousands of new hosts are now sharing their places on Airbnb.

I understand your concern.  Personally, I like to read every past-guest review and soak in all the bits and pieces hoping to find a place where I'd feel comfortable staying...and of course I'd avoid a place where a guest described a less than tidy accomadation.    You're right in that listening to your gut is very important.  Check out the area in general and compare each listing that catches your eye.  Don't make a mistake of thinking a lower priced listing is "bad" because some of us realize that not every guest can afford sky high hotel rates, or can afford a 7 night-vacation.    The world is your oyster.  Have fun and enjoy the search!  If you ever plan on a girls-getaway, or family vacation, or just need a hideout to relax and enjoy, I hope you'll visit Cape Cod.    

Best, Deb of Cape Cod

Hi @Ashley1837 

If you really want to book this property, you can mitigate some risk by purchasing travel insurance when booking. That way you should be covered in case there is an issue. Read the fine print before doing that so you know what your options are and what the travel insurance covers:

Travel Insurance.png

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Ashley1837

What did you decide to do in the end? It would be great to hear your experiences. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines