No to the new no guest photo policy

No to the new no guest photo policy

Hello fellow Hosts-

I have noticed Airbnb's policies increasingly moving towards guest's needs, and further away from the needs of hosts, especially hosts who prefer the security of personally screening people they invite into their home, verses hosts with Instant Book, who do not have as big a concern with safety. I have let many other changes go, but I feel that their newest no guest photo policy hits a new low, and for me, is totally unacceptable.

My home is not a public hotel. If guests do not want to show their faces and want to remain anonymous, they should stay in a hotel- there are plenty of those. Airbnb is supposed to offer a more personal alternative, where hosts as well as guests benefit mutually from honesty and trust. To cultivate this trust, there needs to be transparency on BOTH sides, and blocking photos does not inspire trust!

As hosts, we are extremely vulnerable- guests see our photo, photos of our homes, our neighborhood location, see our star ratings, reviews, and our cancellation history, yet as (non-instant book) hosts, we are not able to access any of these same basic qualities. I am not racist in any way, I accept all nationalities, from all over the world, but I am extremely concerned with personal safety. Airbnb has just removed one of the most important tools that I am able to use to help my intuition determine who I am willing to allow into my home.

I understand that Airbnb wants to be politically correct by encouraging non-discrimination. That is noble of them, but please do not do it at our expense. Do not deny hosts of this important basic tool. And not viewing a photo will not end discrimination! It just will make hosts more cautious and more discriminating, forcing us to base a decision whether to allow strangers into our homes even more narrowly- on the sex, for example, or a name, writing style, living location, or an unjust bad review. In my experience, there already is not enough information about most guests (especially if they have not completed a profile or do not have any reviews), but more often than not, a smiling face of their profile photo is enough to go ahead and trust that stranger. Now, without the thousand words a photo can convey, I will always decline a reservation if the person's communication lacks information that I ask for, has misspellings, or is otherwise less than ideal. We have that right as a host to decline any reservation, Airbnb's host rules makes that clear. Why remove an important tool that allows for more trust?! A trust that benefits guests as well, as they will be more likely to be accepted for a reservation request. Why punish all hosts, when going after the few specific hosts with a history of discrimination, would be much, much more appropriate?

And lastly, Airbnb's solution does not resolve the problem of racism in a fair way. Discrimination is a human flaw that does not just affect hosts- guests are just as able to discriminate against hosts! If implementing this new policy is a true effort to combat racism, Airbnb is actually discriminating against hosts by not imposing this same standard equally to all of us, hosts and guests alike!

I am a Superhost who has enjoyed the benefits of listing my guest room on Airbnb for many years, but by taking away this most basic and important tool, I am considering for the first time, the possibility of going with another rental option if this decision is not reversed. I wrote a lengthy letter in protest, submitted in the feedback section, and intend to send it daily until the new policy is reversed or imposed fairly to all. I told them that if they do not want to lose their hosts, that they should put an end to this ridiculous no guest photo policy, and restore full disclosure between both guests and hosts, which has brought great success to their platform- thus far. I encourage all who dislike this new policy to send their feedback as well!

165 Replies 165

I totally agree with Sarah  and many others here.  I'm also surprised to discover not only that the photograph is witheld, but the reviews the person has received as well.  

Remove the photos from hosts who have shown to discriminate based on race. Keep it for everyone else’s sense of security

i don’t care what race someone is - I don’t want to invite anwhite crakchead, gangbanger, or even a 17 year old into my HOME-. I can judge certain things from a photo. It’s my home.  I have shown zero patterns of hesitation on booking people of color so don’t take away my sense of security. 

Display the ages of anyone under 25. Rental car companies won’t rent to 20 yr olds for a reason. I would like to ask more questions if I’m feeling uneasy. I could end up with a group of 4 16 year olds (almost happened but the photo helped me to ask questions about parental consent, etc. without the photo I would have never known to ask these questions

I agree with you Aleksandra!  Needing to see potential guests' photos  is not a question of discrimination but a commonsense desire to see who one is accepting into one's home - all the more so because it is our home. Personally, we accept a lot of 1st time airbnb guests. This new rule puts the brakes on accepting people with no prior reviews,  throws a wrench into a system that seemed to have been working fluidly for the most part.

If airbnb has the means to assess those who are discriminating - for whatever reason - color, age, race, etc, then those are the hosts/guests who need to be  contacted by airbnb staff  (or whose accounts should be deleted or "flagged" as Aleksandra suggests) as their behavior is contrary to the open "esprit" that characterizes what we all thought airbnb was about.

Also- what would be so awful about a woman for example turning down men who are traveling alone- on certain dates where she is alone at home- using the photo to make the judgement call. I haven’t done this- but I would be very understanding of someone who did. There is always another Airbnb that man can book 

of course it is unfair when it comes to race. I do believe some people may screen based on race. When there is a hint that that is what they are doing- then they should have this feature removed- not the rest of us who book to people of color without any issues!

Require ALL guests to provide a government issued ID. Display age of guests under 25z Display guest photos unless hosts show indication of discriminating previously

Better solution to discrimination: make it easy for guests to report possible discrimination and red flag those hosts and remove the photo feature explaining  to the host why

there is a problem with discrimination in the work place but we don’t come to interviews with paper bags over our heads

this experience and platform is supposed to be more personal- well it is because you are using people’s HOMES as hotels. 

Takw Le away the photo and honestly it feels way more scary. Who is this person? They have no reviews, no picture, is it someone I’m avoiding? Does this person look responsible or sloppy or scary? Do they look like they are coming to party? Are they even 18? Let hosts decide and flag them for racial discrimination if it actually comes up! 

I agree fully. Let hosts who don't care who stays in their home not care, that is perfectly fine for them to have that opinion, but it should be our CHOICE to care or not, it should not be imposed on us unfairly.

What makes the issue of Hosts concerned with safety even worse, in Airbnb's Terms of Service, they state: "User verification on the Internet is difficult and we DO NOT assume any responsibility for the confirmation of any Member’s identity...we may, BUT HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO (i) ask Members to provide a form of government identification or other information or undertake additional checks designed to help verify the identities or backgrounds of Members, (ii) screen Members against third party databases, and (iii) where we have sufficient information to identify a Member, obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations..." 

Okay, so they have no obligation to ask guests for government id to verify identity or undertake any background checks...but, they also state that we (hosts) "should always exercise DUE DILIGENCE and CARE when deciding whether to...accept a booking request from a Guest." I ask- how is it possible to exercise “due diligence and care”, when they do not provide a last name or photo of the stranger before accepting?!! They do not even require a photo at all (even after accepting), it is left up to the guest to upload one or not. Prior reviews, communication, (and previously photos), are the only tools we have to work with. We have NOTHING at all left to base our intuition on if there are no reviews, and words are minimal. It would be an entirely different story, and I would feel vastly more comfortable with the new situation, if Airbnb actually was REQUIRED to do background checks on everyone, and, if still intent on the no photo policy, equally apply it to guests AND hosts alike, so we all play by the same set of rules.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Heh.. you know, my wife was telling me the other day that she attended a military criminal intelligence seminar, where they presented the findings of a study that showed (rather conclusively) that people are consistently incapable of spotting criminals.  In fact, the results showed people were more likely to mark photographs of convicted criminals incorrectly. It doesn't therefore seem like a smart argument to be saying that a photo = safety.

Maybe we should test this with the Airbnb community.  In fact, how about I ask my wife to gather a bunch of photographs and let you all see if you can spot the actual criminals in the bunch. 

Sound good?

PS:  I'll only do it if you don't take it too seriously though.  They did it at my wife's work and everyone failed, including all the Police... so lower your expectations a bit before trying...

Hahahaha @Ben551, good point!

Yes, @Ben551, let's do it!

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hahaha... Gods I’ll probably regret this... but ok, I’ve asked her to get some mug shots. She’s suggesting we use the same shots from the original study because they are authorised to be publicly published for this purpose etc. Might take a couple of days. Plus I’ll need to find a decent free online quiz thing to put it into... 

@Ben551, could you post it on a new thread, give us a chance to reply with our answers, then in a few days show us the results?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Emilia42 oh you mean run it as a poll and hide the answers until enough folks have responded?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Emilia42How about this? 

Can you spot a criminal purely from their facial profile?

Only issue is - I reckon people are sometimes competitive about things and will naturally want to know how they personally did, as opposed to an entire community.  Unfortunately the free tool I have found doesn't support that need very well.  The tool I have used means they won't see their own scores, it's all hidden and I'd have to post a graph or something... so folks might not like it?

The survey tool allows me to publish a link to the cumulative results here:

https://surveyhero.com/results/115500/8189a57fa4829c3dfa1d7f7e30e5bcf7

Thoughts?

Ben,

I don't look at pics of people to determine if they are criminals or not. That is almost impossible to determine....as your wife verifies!!

I get a whole host of instinctive info from looking at some-one. Of course you get far more non-verbal cues when you see some-one in person, but if all I have to go on is a photo before handing over the keys and full access to my home....you betcha I can at least get a sense of who I am dealing with.

That, together with the level of communication and info we exchange and reviews from other hosts, is all I have to make a choice whether or not I feel reasonably comfortable accepting their booking.

Is it fullproof?? Hell NO!!

Is it the best I can do for due diligence....Yes.

My home is important to me. So are my neighbours and community around me. I have seldom rejected anyone purely based on their photo. On the rare occassion I did - believe me I had no regrets.

And we all should directly write to airbnb and complain about that - maybe they are afraid to lose nice and beautiful hosts and change it back....